Main Menu

Wireless Screen Tech

Started by Mark, May 27, 2014, 10:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Looking for ideas.

We have a small suite in the building that consists of a conference room and three offices.  Each office shares a wall with the conference room and you actually have to walk through the conference room to get to the offices (only the people in those offices use this conference room).

We'd like to put a screen in there and I'm trying to find a good wireless display option.  What I'm picturing is something that we can move from office to office depending on who is using the screen in the conference room.  Almost like a Chromecast where whoever needs to control the screen puts the wireless dongle into their own workstation.  I think this could be better than having to support another conference room PC and there could be less user issues since they'd be on their own desktop, profile, etc.

I know that there are a few options out there.

Would need wireless keyboard/mouse, wireless display adapter that can be easily moved from PC to PC, and a display (TV or Monitor).

Ideas?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Hans Manhave

In line with the Chromecast, which I don't have, how about AppleTV?  If those three people have Apple pads or phones, you could be in business.  That wouldn't give you a mouse but keyboards can be done if absolutely necessary.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Golas

Depending on what the computers have, if they have Intel chipsets/NICS you may be able to Miracast (and a Netgear PTV3000). I've been playing with one and got it to work, but haven't gone very far with it yet.

The other thing you could do in lieu of wireless is just run extra vga (or hdmi or whatever) runs from each office to the screen using Cat 5 VGA (or whatever) dongles, then depending on how many inputs the TV has just have it switch between each one or use a switch box.

Only downside to the wired route is that anyone could then turn on the TV and see what's on the other person's screen.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

It would be slick if that would work, but I think a computer is necessary or they would still require the main conference room for certain things.

This is our Employee Benefits department and they would need full access to our network, access to company sites, various other programs, etc.  Since their office computers are practically in the same room, I'm thinking like Intel wireless display or something similar.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Mark

Jeff, these are Intel HD2500. According to this: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033757.htm it looks like it supports Wireless Display.  Would you agree that I am interpreting that correctly?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

What Nics are they? Now that I'm slowly coming back from vacation mode I remember there's two generic standards - Miracast (which supposedly is what chromecasts uses) and Widi. Intel's variation is WIDI and thats the one that I think i got to work from a tablet. The PTV3000 I believe supports both, and what I like about it is that it shows a generic status screen (thats pretty graphical) until you start streaming video.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

The more I'm reading up on this, I think I'd need to have the Intel Pro-Wireless adapters.  These are desktops with Ethernet only.  Was thinking that would work but it doesn't look like it.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

For WIDI yes. Miracast can run on any (supported) nic. I know this stuff is confusing as h3ll.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA

Gene Foraker

Quote from: Mark on May 27, 2014, 02:15:12 PM
Jeff, these are Intel HD2500. According to this: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033757.htm it looks like it supports Wireless Display.  Would you agree that I am interpreting that correctly?

I have an ultrabook which supports WiDi and it is not that simple.   The chipset may support it, but the computer must also have the extra circuits and transmitter.  Sort of like Bluetooth.  The forums I have been on also have a lot of complaints that the current generation is not always giving a consistent connection.  Different brand work well together and others don't.  I think it is more with the implementation by the TV manufacturer being the variable.   You don't know if it will work until you try it.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Mark

Makes sense, Gene.  Sounds like you have to have the "Pro" chipset.  Trying to determine if Miracast would be an option.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Billy Welsh

The last projector I purchased at the old job was a 3M.  Very tiny.  It had the capability to do wireless via USB.  Only played with it in the office; the one thing I learned was that it was using wi-fi, so you could not be on the office wi-fi if you wanted to use the projector wireless display.

Anyway, I only mention in case it could help your situation.  I don't seem to recall though 3M marketing this separately from the actual projector.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Mark

Something to look out for, thanks Billy.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

Mark, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that if those comps are running that Intel adapter, that chances are they are WIDI compatible.

Basically as far as Miracast/WIDI, there's two parts: the hardware, and the software. As far as hardware, both basically are using functionality baked into the drivers and firmware of the NIC - there is no extra circuitry or hardware involved other than the receiver, which is the one I suggested above - the Netgear PTV3000. (there's others but this seems to be the defacto one to use).

In terms of compatability, as far as I can tell (or have researched), Miracast is mostly supported by Windows 8 and Google products. I haven't found a way to make it work under Windows 7 yet.

On the flip side, for WIDI, you can download the software (and appropriate drivers) to make that work, found here: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/wireless-display

The only requirement for WIDI is obviously that the receiver supports it, it has a "supported" *INTEL* NIC and the appropriate drivers and WIDI software.

Clear as mud???
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on May 28, 2014, 03:29:38 PM
Clear as mud???

Almost.  the problem with WIDI is that it is a wireless-only technology from everything that I have read.  It stands for "Wireless Direct" and is only supported in the Pro-Wireless chipsets which are designed to be able to handle your network WiFi connection and a Wireless-Direct connection (or multiple WiDi) at the same time.

Don't think Miracast is out of the question yet, though.
Mark Piontek, MBA