Main Menu

OptiPlex 7020

Started by Mark, November 20, 2013, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

It's interesting to watch SysInternal's process monitor and whatever their hard drive monitor is called, when trying to diagnose software problems.  There are a LOT of read and writes going on in the background when you're working.  A lot of temp files are created that you never think about, but  it all affects performance.   Windows 7 is light years better with roaming profiles than XP was, but you will notice a marked difference between an SSD drive and a mechanical drive.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

How about the 1GB AMD RADEON HD 7470?  Anyone using those?  If so, are you using a splitter or display port adapter - or what for dual monitors?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Billy Welsh

FWIW I am on an Optiplex 980, 8GB RAM, WIN 7 64-bit, with dual ATI Radeon HD 4550's.

I don't know off the top of my head what on-board RAM the cards have, but I do know I have been victimized by the occasional BSOD, and it's always been related to video.  Updating drivers has not helped.  Most recent one was last week, right after a "tune-up" from the contract techs.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Mark

They are pushing me to use a Display Port to VGA adapter off the on-board graphics and a 1GB Radeon card for dual monitors.  why do I need this card if I'm not fully utilizing it?  We have a 7010 here with dual monitors and it does not have an added graphics card.

this Radeon supports up to 4 monitors.  Why are they pushing me this direction?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

Negatory on DP to VGA adapter...I used those on some Vostros I bought and having issues. Every once in a while they go nuts and you get a nice rainbow effect on the screen until you unplug/replug the adapter. Only reason I went that route was these machines are mainly for intern and hotel-ing type use and I had a crapload of 17" VGA monitors still around. Stick with native video or chalk up the dough to get newer monitors. (if anything, just keep the signal digital).

Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Golas

CORRECTION...

I figured I'd make another post so this makes more sense, but I just realized those Vostros I mentioned are using HDMI to VGA, not Displayport. I don't have any experience with DP>VGA but I'm pretty sure the adapters came in the box with the Opti's.

I just took a look and the set up I used on ours was a vid card with a single DVI output and then used a DP>DVI adapter for the other.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Ok, that's what I was getting at.  Here's my question for Dell:

The ONBOARD video supports dual monitors.  Why did they add a RADEON card which supports 4 monitors just to tell me that I will use the onboard card for one monitor and the RADEON for one monitor.  I don't get that.  why not just use the RADEON for ALL monitrs or don't eveb buy the RADEON.

Make sense?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Makes perfect sense.  I have a couple 7010s that have dual monitors off the MB.  Works fine.  Any time I use a "high performance" video card for dual monitors, I have problems like BSODs.  Not necessarily with that model, but other models.  If you don't need the high performance graphics, stick with on-board video.  I've always found it to be more reliable.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

I agree, Jeff.  Thank you, Sir.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Jeff Golas

If one of those monitors IS VGA that may be why...the better graphics cards still *natively* support analog in some cases whereas the onboard may not anymore.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA