Main Menu

OptiPlex 7020

Started by Mark, November 20, 2013, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Anyone got ANY info on when the 7020's will be out?  Rumors or anything?

I nixed the VDI project as I don't believe the ROI is there for us for 30 desktops and we are going to get new workstations before the end of the year, but I'll hate to buy 30 7010's just to find out the 7020's are out the next day!

My Dell rep hasn't heard anything yet, but the 3020 and 9020 are out.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

I just received a 7010 - what's the difference supposed to be?
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

Dunno, it's just the newer version.

Previously we had 745, 760, etc.  Just depends on what year you buy it and I simply don't want to buy the year end model when the newer model is available.

Our desktops are on a 5 year life-cycle plan, so the newer the better.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

I can vouch the 7010s and 3010s are solid units, go with SSD and your CSRs will need seat belts.

Been battling my dell rep (literally almost screaming over the phone) regarding the new Venue 11's they're coming out with. They're literally changing options daily and its causing some issues.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

How much did the SSD effect the price?  What's the cost difference?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Charlie Charbonneau

Just purchased 12 7010's for $1200 each.  Office and adobe.  No monitors.  128 gb SSD drives 8 gb ram and 2 dual vid cards for up to 4 monitors.  We currently use 2 but are expanding to 3.  I've rolled out 1 atm.  But it was super fast!  Loved it!  Might keep one for my office!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Charlie Charbonneau

Quote from: Charlie Charbonneau on November 21, 2013, 03:19:04 PM
Just purchased 12 7010's for $1200 each.  Office and adobe.  No monitors.  128 gb SSD drives 8 gb ram and 2 dual vid cards for up to 4 monitors.  We currently use 2 but are expanding to 3.  I've rolled out 1 atm.  But it was super fast!  Loved it!  Might keep one for my office!
.  Oh yeah 3.2 ghz proc.  sorry brain is little fuzzy today!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Bob

I have two of the exact setup as Charlies, sitting boxed in my office waiting for me to get to them.  Not sure who I'll give to just yet.

Mark

I'm just not sure if I can justify SSD yet.. I'll ask her to quote it.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Billy Welsh

If our conf room machine is any judge, you'll get your $ back quickly on the SSD.  They will be able to work faster for sure.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Golas

MAKE it worth it - scale back processor (nothing we run seriously needs an i7...I think I have our CSRs on i5's or i3's and they scream...the hard drive on the other hand will pay dividends.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

It's a $5,000 difference to go the SSD option.  Do you guys use roaming profiles?  I know that SSD makes a HUGE difference, I just haven't actually experienced it.  And, will they last 5 years?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

I don't buy the 225 terabyte gold-plated 440v SSD, just the usual raptors they come with which are usually around a $250 premium over a mechanical.

Yes we use roaming profiles but thats only part of it...just about anything anymore is very hard drive heavy and in trying different combos I found in most cases the cpu didn't matter as much as having a fast hard drive in 100% of the cases. ESPECIALLY for laptops where encryption is important.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Yeah, I have been saying for years that hard drives are the bottleneck.  This is just the 128GB one. We are buying 29 machines so the difference in $5k.  They are only i5 which is probably overkill, along with the 8GB of RAM which also might be overkill, but I am spec'ing them for 5 years and things change in less time than that.

Plus, we have some heavy power users here.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

Thats an avg of 172 premium. Not bad and honestly well well worth it. Amortize 172 / 5 and you're talking under $40 a year.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24