Spooler Subsystem App error

Started by DebW, November 26, 2013, 11:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebW

First, since I am fairly new to this forum and some of you don't know me, my background is NOT IT, I only know enough to be dangerous, that being said I have a windows xp computer that for the last week keeps losing its default printer for no apparent reason.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer several times and up until today that has worked.  Now it doesn't even show any printer attached to the computer (it has a usb printer not network) and I am getting a "Spooler subsystem App encountered a problem and needed to close."  I looked this up on Microsoft and am thinking this is the end of the line for me.  Can anyone tell me something else to check on this machine or if they know of an easy fix, or just be honest and tell me to call in a professional. :D
Deb Woolcock
Franklin Insurance Agency
TAMONLINE 2016 13 users
CSR24 2016, Fax@vantage

Bob

This may not be cause but since it does happen thought I'd run by you.   When disk space gets too low, 1st thing windows drops are printers.  Could it be drive space on that workstation is real low?   That would be the simplest and easiest fix, clear out some space.  Just a thought..

Billy Welsh

Maybe Temp files too?  If those are allowed to balloon, it can cause issues and even fill up the disk.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

DebW

11.9 GB Used 62.5 Free - I assume it is not a space issue?  Also, I deleted temporary internet files, are there more I should delete?
Deb Woolcock
TAMONLINE 2016 13 users
CSR24 2016, Fax@vantage

Bloody Jack Kidd

turn off the print spooler from services (start --> run --> services.msc)

go to the spooler directory (%systemroot%\system 32\spool\PRINTERS)

delete contents

restart spooler

might be a long shot...
Sysadmin - Parallel42

DebW

YIPPEE!! That worked.   Hope it is a permanent fix and not just teasing me.  Thank you Bloody Jack Kidd!  By the way, your name scares me  :-\
Deb Woolcock
TAMONLINE 2016 13 users
CSR24 2016, Fax@vantage

Billy Welsh

Quote from: DebW on November 26, 2013, 01:46:13 PM
YIPPEE!! That worked.   Hope it is a permanent fix and not just teasing me.  Thank you Bloody Jack Kidd!  By the way, your name scares me  :-\

That's just his pirate moniker - don't let it scare you.  He's quite harmless, and very helpful!  A good egg all around.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Bloody Jack Kidd

arrr

8)   <-- pirate with two eye patches!
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Bob

Just good to see the pirate back on AU.  :)

Mark

Welcome back, Cap'n.

Sent from my super old phone using Tapatalk 2. I can't even run the latest version!

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42