Tablet computers-but not Apple

Started by DebAmstutz, August 26, 2013, 03:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Foraker

Quote from: DebAmstutz on September 17, 2013, 03:42:34 PM
Today I went into Office Depot looking for a low priced/clearance tablet and I was told that a tablet won't work for what I want to do - connect to the terminal server and get into TAM.  The salesperson said that the Android system on tablets doesn't play well with terminal servers.  They did have a small ASUS laptop that would do what I want.  I must admit I like the keyboard on the little laptop, and it's lightweight.

Oh, by the way, I learned last week that a "classic shell" program is available for Windows 8 computers for those of us who just can't cope with the way 8 looks.  Today was the first time I'd been in a store where someone actually wanted to assist me with what I wanted to know about the tablets.  I was away part of the week last week due to a death in the family and that set me back on trying to find something to take to TENCon.

Back on Sept 5 I said that a small and cheap laptop would best fit your needs.   Tablets are more into the entertainment side of computing.  (Among other things, I read most of my books now on a tablet.)  ASUS makes some nice cheap equipment, but take a look at Lenovo's convertible models for a little bit more.  Windows 8 really comes alive with a touch screen and these models are both tablet and a real computer.    There are plenty of 3rd party programs to add Start back to a Win 8 computer.   Consider them training wheels until you get used to it.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Gene Foraker

I just checked my inbox and I have a great deal for you on the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 only through Wednesday, Sept. 18.   I get lots of deals from them and there may be another soon, but after TENCon.

The deal is $251 off with the code g5kkukXTyNEG

Here is the link to the page w/o the discount applied:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/yoga/yoga-13/?sb=:000001C9:0000EBF5:&esrc=EPI2&cid=EDM_20130916_NA_US_CON_IP_YogaExclusive48_0-6_MC&RRID=203533592&redir=y

Edit  - that page may be with the discount applied, I can't tell.

Here is the regular page for the product:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/yoga/yoga-13/

I think the page shows a web discount of $200.  The code I gave is for $251 and only the one model.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

DebAmstutz

The ASUS laptop seems to be what I could use.  I don't need all the bells and whistles that everyone else seems to want.  I just want to be able to log in to the terminal server at work, check the bank balances, and check email.  I don't care about games.  I don't care about much of anything else.  It's simply not necessary to me.  I just want to be able to connect to my workstation whlie I'm away from the office.

One question I just thought of...and I apologize if it's a dumb question, but if I'm remotely logged into my workstation, will I be able to print items retrieved from company websites to pdf through my workstation since Adobe is installed on my workstation?

Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jeff Zylstra

Yes, you can print to PDF while logged into your workstation.  I do that all of the time through FinePrint when I login remotely to do night utilities or run reports.

Something else you might want to consider are the "free" or low cost books that are available on Amazon for readers like the Kindle or computers/tablets.  If you are a voracious reader like my wife (I swear that women can juggle and read at the same time), that can add up over time and make a difference.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

When you are logged into your workstation - you can do what you normally do at your workstation.  When I connect from home I can print either from the printer here at the office (or to pdf files) or I can print to my printer at home.  I use GOTOMYPC.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Steven Strauss

While you have access to everything on your PC if you log directly into your workstation, if you log into a terminal server (which is what I think you said in an earlier post), you are limited to what is loaded/set up on that server (printers, etc.)
Steven Strauss - CFO
NIP Group, Inc.  Woodbridge, NJ
Epic 2022 R2
CSR24, Salesforce, Cognos Finance, TM1

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Steven Strauss on September 18, 2013, 10:41:07 AM
While you have access to everything on your PC if you log directly into your workstation, if you log into a terminal server (which is what I think you said in an earlier post), you are limited to what is loaded/set up on that server (printers, etc.)

Right..... we are not set up that way....no terminal server here......
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

DebAmstutz

Thanks!

Edit:  I bought the little ASUS at lunch and since the display was the only one left, I received an extra 10% off the clearance price.  I will pick it up tomorrow since they have to take the Office Depot passwords and such off it, and they're installing the anti-virus software for me also.  I did not get the 2-year $99 protection plan.  I'm not going to use it that much, and I'm very careful with tech items, so I didn't think I needed it.
Deb Amstutz

Jeff Golas

Nice! Let us know how you like it.

Some Win 8 quick tips:

Swipe from the right (to left): brings up "charms"
Swipe from left to right: toggles between apps
Swipe up from the bottom: I forget, but I know brings up the login prompt when locked, and "all apps" on the start screen
Swipe from top to bottom: Closes app (like hitting "x")
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Excellent! I had a little asus netbook & loved it. Had it at TENCon a few years ago. I don't know what the sales guy was talking about regarding Android and terminal servers. Seems made up to me as I do that almost daily without issue. Regardless, I think you'll be happier with the laptop anyway.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

DebAmstutz

Those of you attending TENCon will most likely see the item as I plan to put all the handouts on it instead of having my usual three-ring binder full of paper.  That's not saying I won't have some paper, but I want to use the laptop as much as possible.
Deb Amstutz

Jeff Golas

I messed with mine yesterday, trying to dig into Win 8 a little more and some of the Metro apps. I'll def have the handouts on mine as well.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Joshua Conner

Just because of this thread and deb *Ahem COUGH* Retiring from our chapter President Position We got her an Ipad Mini as a retirement gift. 

Now she can be an apple hater while also being an owner.   ;D 8) :) ;)
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Joshua Conner on December 05, 2013, 09:53:23 AM
Just because of this thread and deb *Ahem COUGH* Retiring from our chapter President Position We got her an Ipad Mini as a retirement gift. 

I expect a thorough comparison of the iPad and the ASUS tablet from her!
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Joshua Conner on December 05, 2013, 09:53:23 AM

Is that all it takes to get an Apple? I hate Apples too.  Can I have one now?   ;)   

I know, 10 years of rough service.  Well done, Deb!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop