Tablet computers-but not Apple

Started by DebAmstutz, August 26, 2013, 03:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebAmstutz

I am thinking of buying a tablet to take to TENCon.  I want to be able to remote in to the office, and I'd also like to have the handouts on it.  I don't need anything fancy fancy and I'd like to spend as little as possible.  I guess I'd have to live with Windows 8?  Would any of the tablets come with antivirus protection already on them or is that an add-on?  Normally I would not be concerned but with all the employee changes here I'd better be able to remote in if there's a problem.

What should I look for?
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jeff Golas

When it comes to Windows tablets - first and foremost be aware that there's generally two flavors - Win 8 and Windows 8 RT.

The RT tablets do not run regular computer apps, they're more akin to an Ipad where all the software you use on it will have to come through the Microsoft "store". Regular Windows 8 (and Win 8 Pro) are more like standard PCs where you can load and run any software you want. Generally the RT tablets are cheaper (for a reason) and usually have a bit better battery life, but at the cost of being in a walled garden, like an Ipad.

Outside of that fact, just find whatever's on sale and look up reviews for it. I bought an Asus which seems to work decent but there's pros/cons to each make/model. And yes, you will need antivirus software. Despite being a tablet, Windows 8 tablets are still generally a full blown PC.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

DebAmstutz

Thanks - I didn't know there was a Windows RT.  I will see what I can find. 
Deb Amstutz

Steven Strauss

I have a Surface RT (for nearly six months now), running Windows RT. While it is true that you cannot load just any software on the thing you want, it does run "regular" programs. I have a full blown version of Office 2013 on the device, and through the store I have loaded much of the same productivity software as I have on my desktop (Adobe Acrobat, for example). The battery life is phenomenal as well, I use the thing constantly all week, and only have to charge it every four days or so. Unlike with an iPad, this doesn't feel like a glorified phone, however. It feels like a real PC that has been imprisioned (Windows RT is remarkably similar to Windows 8 for the average user).

That said, Jeff is dead on with regard to the store concept. It is just like Apple from a proprietary perspective insofar as you are at the mercy of what Microsoft decides to make available (which is the primary reason why I dislike apple so much).

The device itself is great, because I use it almost exclusively for work applications, and it runs the few programs that comrpise 95% of my time with it: native Excel and Word, and terminal services client, so I can log into our colocated facility and have TAM access. The type cover is a great keyboard, very thin, but responsive too. I'm not sure if I would have gotten this device if I were buying something as an only device to have at home due to the crappy limitations from the M$ store, but in terms of portability (it is no bigger than an iPad) and with the job-orientation purpose for which I use it, it was a good option.
Steven Strauss - CFO
NIP Group, Inc.  Woodbridge, NJ
Epic 2022 R2
CSR24, Salesforce, Cognos Finance, TM1

Hans Manhave

Would the Surface RT be something for a beginner who never touched a computer?  If it is tied to the MS store, it would not be likely to install all kinds of unneeded malware/scamware/xxxware etc, right?   Also, could one access external drives through wifi?
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Steven Strauss

I'm not tech saavy enough to speak with whether or not it is possible for it to get a virus/malware, in fact, most of the times I've been infected it has come from clicking a link in a browser than from installing something, so I would think it is still possible. It does run versions of both Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, and there are other various anti-badstuff programs available in the store.

As far as it being something good for a non-computer user, I guess that depends on the person. Windows 8 seems pretty intuitive to some people, but not to others. As I mentioned before, Windows RT is nearly indistinguishable from Windows 8 to a novice.

Steven Strauss - CFO
Epic 2022 R2

Bob

Good thread and good info!  +1 Jeff and Steven for the feedback!  :)

Joshua Conner

Deb get an ipad you will thank yourself later and install logmein on your pc at work now you can control your work pc and you have an ipad which is the best in the tablet world.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Gene Foraker

The wife has an iPad and I agree that it is probably the best, but Android is catching up quickly.   The main difference is the Apps available.  I would be just as happy with an Android tablet if I didn't have a few specific navigation apps on the Apple.
I have no experience yet with Windows tablets, but have the general opinion that they are third.  I agree that it is pretty easy to go in the the agency computer with logmein on any device.

If you are still interested in doing real work and often, then just get a cheap laptop.  There is still no real substitute.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jon Robinson

You could also look at the Nexus 7.  I've heard lots of good things about it.  It's android based so you can do anything an android phone can plus more. 
System Administrator
Dale Barton Agency, SLC, UT
Vision LAN 6.2
jrobinson@dalebarton.com
801-288-1600

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Joshua Conner on August 27, 2013, 11:34:03 AM
Deb get an ipad you will thank yourself later and install logmein on your pc at work now you can control your work pc and you have an ipad which is the best in the tablet world.

Given that you are shall we say in the group that has accumulated more "wisdom," I would advise you to test drive the remote control from an iPad - one BIG thing you cannot use is a mouse.  For those in the wise group I have found that this can be an issue - some are simply so accustomed to the mouse that they do not like using a finger as same.

I have no idea if you can plug a mouse into an Android tablet.  I would be surprised if you can't plug one in to a Windows tablet.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jon Robinson

As for the Windows Surface Pro, if you want a mouse, you can use one on it.  The other thing is the stylus is one of the best I've seen.  It acts as a mouse too.  You can right of left click with it.  We bought one for a producer to try and he loves it now.
System Administrator
Dale Barton Agency, SLC, UT
Vision LAN 6.2
jrobinson@dalebarton.com
801-288-1600

Steven Strauss

I also have a Nexus 7. The quad-core processor make the thing lightning quick. It is a device I use often at home, primarily for web browsing, email and the like. It (like iPads, in my opinion) are more single-purpose devices. The Surface is more of a Production device (if that makes any sense). Not that they are bad (I've got the thing in my hands constantly during football season with many windows open, streaming games, for fantasy scores, etc.), but when I need to sit down and work on a spreadsheet or log in and use TAM, it wouldn't be my first choice. Conversely, I don't think I would like to have the Surface as my only personal device. There are too many android apps I enjoy that are just not available.

As far as the mouse thing goes, if you get one of the Keyboards, the Surface has a built-in Track-pad. It will also recognize some brands of usb wireless mice (I only say some, because I have only tried two, and haven't really checked to see if others will work).
Steven Strauss - CFO
Epic 2022 R2

DebAmstutz

Josh, I am just not going to buy Apple, sorry! :-[

I am not looking for something that does everything, but I would like something very portable that I can use to log in at work if necessary, and check on the agency bank accounts and record deposits or alert the owners of any nefarious activity on those accounts.  Also being able to check the work email address and delete all the junk mail would be great.  Having the TENCon handouts on a tablet would be very nice.  I can't afford too many other bells and whistles, but I really would like to use a mouse if I could. 
Deb Amstutz

Steven Strauss

Steven Strauss - CFO
Epic 2022 R2