Tablet computers-but not Apple

Started by DebAmstutz, August 26, 2013, 03:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Billy Welsh

You will all be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.  Time is on our side.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Ric

Quote from: Steven Strauss on August 27, 2013, 12:59:19 PM
Quote from: DebAmstutz on August 27, 2013, 12:18:58 PM
Josh, I am just not going to buy Apple, sorry! :-[
Steven, would that I could I'd give you two +1's for your contribution to this thread, especially for the graphic which speaks volumes.
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Billy Welsh on August 27, 2013, 03:09:10 PM
You will all be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.  Time is on our side.

;D - what he said!
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Kevin Crow

After trying iPad, Windows RT and two Android tablets, I ended up using and recommending to our executives the Asus TF700T with the Asus Mobile Dock. Android, keyboard, trackpad, works great for Windows remote control using the iTap Mobile RDP client.
Kevin Crow
Kapnick Insurance Group
@kevincrow1 on Twitter
www.linkedin.com/pub/kevin-crow/8/8b6/4bb/

Joshua Conner

I was an apple hater too at one point.  Its ok. 

I have the philosophy buy once cry once. 

All I can say is I hope windows 8 is better on a tablet then it is on a desktop cause its a miserable user experience with a mouse and keyboard. 

I still have that netbook you can use for free at tenconn if you want to try it out.

Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Mark

Quote from: Joshua Conner on August 28, 2013, 09:43:06 AM
I was an apple hater too at one point.  Its ok.

I'm not an apple hater, I'm an apple laugher    :o 8)
Mark Piontek, MBA

Steven Strauss

Just because I avoid the cult of Jobs at all costs, doesn't mean that I like Windows 8. I wholeheartedly agree that it is not a good desktop OS. While it functions reasonably well on a tablet, running it on a desktop can cause premature graying or balding, sudden violent mood swings or an effusive stream of profanities...
Steven Strauss - CFO
NIP Group, Inc.  Woodbridge, NJ
Epic 2022 R2
CSR24, Salesforce, Cognos Finance, TM1

Mark

Quote from: Steven Strauss on August 28, 2013, 09:51:33 AM
Just because I avoid the cult of Jobs at all costs, doesn't mean that I like Windows 8. I wholeheartedly agree that it is not a good desktop OS. While it functions reasonably well on a tablet, running it on a desktop can cause premature graying or balding, sudden violent mood swings or an effusive stream of profanities...

+1

The little interaction with Windows 8 that I have had, I've managed to mostly avoid the major UI changes by using trusty run commands.

Where the H is the control panel in this thing?  Windows key + R, enter text: Control.  Much easier.

Need to do some network settings.  Windows key + R enter text: ncpa.cpl.  No fumbling or moving tiles.  What a waste.  (Why was this buried anyway?? Seems this has been buried since Vista?)

I prefer navigating most systems that way anyway.  I have noticed, and idk if indexing is to blame, but in Windows 7 and Server 2008 when compared to XP/2003 it's very slow to open folders.  So slow in fact, that the address bar doubles as a status bar.  I've also noticed this when accessing shared folders.  Maybe it's the fingers moving theory, but I find it much faster to type out the path to the folder I'm looking for instead of clicking through each folder and waiting for the screen to load.  In fact, if I can do whatever it is I'm trying to do via CLI, it is even faster.  I think it's indexing.  Especially since I've noticed that I can add a file to a share and it is not instantly shown in the folder.  This is very frustrating.

Now back to tablet discussion....
Mark Piontek, MBA

Terry Evans

I always like to check Costco for stuff like tablets, mostly for price.  But they also have a 2 year no questions asked warranty for ALL electronics.  I took a 20 month old printer back that wasn't working and they gave me cash on the spot.

Review site:  www.anythingbutipad.com
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

DebAmstutz

I don't have a Costco membership and there was not one anywhere near here until recently.  I believe it's being constructed on the north side of Fort Wayne.  I don't believe in having to pay in order to shop.  ;)
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Mark

Quote from: DebAmstutz on September 04, 2013, 08:22:01 AM
I believe it's being constructed on the north side of Fort Wayne.  I don't believe in having to pay in order to shop.  ;)

I keep telling my wife this.  She also likes to pay to hold a credit card (AMX).  wt?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Conan_Ward

Quote from: Mark on August 28, 2013, 10:04:33 AM
Quote from: Steven Strauss on August 28, 2013, 09:51:33 AM

+1

The little interaction with Windows 8 that I have had, I've managed to mostly avoid the major UI changes by using trusty run commands.

Where the H is the control panel in this thing?  Windows key + R, enter text: Control.  Much easier.

Need to do some network settings.  Windows key + R enter text: ncpa.cpl.  No fumbling or moving tiles.  What a waste.  (Why was this buried anyway?? Seems this has been buried since Vista?)

I prefer navigating most systems that way anyway.  I have noticed, and idk if indexing is to blame, but in Windows 7 and Server 2008 when compared to XP/2003 it's very slow to open folders.  So slow in fact, that the address bar doubles as a status bar.  I've also noticed this when accessing shared folders.  Maybe it's the fingers moving theory, but I find it much faster to type out the path to the folder I'm looking for instead of clicking through each folder and waiting for the screen to load.  In fact, if I can do whatever it is I'm trying to do via CLI, it is even faster.  I think it's indexing.  Especially since I've noticed that I can add a file to a share and it is not instantly shown in the folder.  This is very frustrating.

Now back to tablet discussion....

There is also right clicking that hot corner that brings up the start screen and goto control panel from the menu that comes up in 2 clicks. Though its typing speed vs mouse speed on if its faster, or what someones more comfortable with.

Theres also just searching for control panel by typing if you're on the start screen itself (aka, Win+typing and select from the bar that comes up), or the long way in this case, which is win+q+typing while on the desktop.

Windows 8 brought me back to using more keyboard shortcuts than I had on previous operating systems, due to the way that some of the touch gestures translates to mouse movements. Though its not the right way to end up that way, I still think i'm better for it.
Former TAM support, P&C licensed in Maryland, LFW

Mark

What is Win+q?  Doesn't do anything on XP

I prefer typing over mousing.  And command line over gui for many things.  Can't see my preference ever changing.  Also prefer fishing over computing, but that's a whole 'nuther story ;)
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

Windows 7 is VERY type friendly...in fact thats what mainly drove me to love Win 7. Win Key and start typing - anything you want is there. Win Key + type "word" and boom word opens without touching a mouse.

I still have to try 8.1 to see how that works...just haven't had time!
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com