New computers - Windows 7 Pro 32 bit

Started by Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski, May 03, 2013, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski

We need 2 new desktops, but 32 bit Win 7 Pro is very hard to find.  Has anyone had any luck with Tam 10.8 and 64 bit Win 7?
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Bob

Is there reason you don't want to update TAM to 11.x or 12.x then won't matter?   There were some tricks to make work back in 10.x and I think but can't recall anymore it required changing the app that launches for TAM from what is is now.  That would allow it for most part but still struggled in some accounting areas.

TAM updates now are so easy and painless.   I don't even come in to do them.  Run them from home.   Then I just add a line to login script so users workstations get updated.  Might have 1 or 2 hang Monday morning, but lot less work and bouncing around..

I just think it would be quicker and easier to update TAM to at least version 11.x then can use what ever you like for workstation.

Yep, that is what I decided to do after looking into it more.... glad to hear the upgrade is
fairly painless.  Just one more thing to add to the list!

Thanks for the reply :-)
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Jeff Zylstra

I was on 10.7 until a week ago, and just bought 3 new Windows 7, 64 bit machines.  The 16 bit DOS app that opens along with Homebase and keeps track of which applications are still open in TAM (forget what it's called), can't run in Windows 64 bit because it does not support 16 bit apps. 

I agree with Bob.  You should check out newer versions of TAM. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Zylstra

Before I forget, you have to turn off UAC on Windows 7-32 machines before running the version 11 upgrade.  I also had an error with the 12.0 update, but downloading a fresh copy of the file fixed that.  I would wait to download the update files until right before you do the upgrade.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on May 03, 2013, 01:42:57 PM
I was on 10.7 until a week ago, and just bought 3 new Windows 7, 64 bit machines.  The 16 bit DOS app that opens along with Homebase and keeps track of which applications are still open in TAM (forget what it's called), can't run in Windows 64 bit because it does not support 16 bit apps. 

TAM Host or TAM 16bit Host, whatever it's called... I AM SO GLAD IT'S GONE! lol
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on May 03, 2013, 01:47:48 PM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on May 03, 2013, 01:42:57 PM

TAM Host or TAM 16bit Host, whatever it's called... I AM SO GLAD IT'S GONE! lol

Give that man a cheroot!  Yes, that silly utility I think was in charge of telling you to shut down apps or customer screens.  I had issues with apps showing up in TAM Host that you could not see or access to shut down.  Don't know if that was the doing of the app, or of TAM Host, but anytime a DOS app gets replaced, it's a good day.

Having TamHost gone sold me... I will upgrade next week.  I hate that darn thing...    :o
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Bob

Quote from: Marie (Zionkowski) Long on May 03, 2013, 02:33:42 PM
Having TamHost gone sold me... I will upgrade next week.  I hate that darn thing...    :o

+1 for upgrading!  :)

Jan Regnier

Also confirm your version of MS Office is compatible with TAM "whatever version you upgrade to"
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jan Regnier on May 03, 2013, 02:51:04 PM
Also confirm your version of MS Office is compatible with TAM "whatever version you upgrade to"

+1 on that too.  I think that Office 2007 or 2010 are your only choices right now.

Hans Manhave

Can anyone comment if OfficeXP or 2003 can be installed at the same time as 2007?

I  am not as concerned with the Outlook version, but am concerned with the Excel version.  This would not be as important with using TAM as it would be with all the macros that some of my people have recorded in Excel.  I also don't think I am worried about keeping Word2002/2003 alive any longer.  Just the Excel piece.

Comments?
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bob

Inn theory you can Hans but if you do it's not full integrations the API different in some areas.  From what I hear if you use Office 2003 on 11.x and up, works for most part but breaks proposals.   Those who tried got annoyed and became unproductive they conceded up updated.

Mark Rowe

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on May 03, 2013, 03:30:05 PM
Quote from: Jan Regnier on May 03, 2013, 02:51:04 PM

+1 on that too.  I think that Office 2007 or 2010 are your only choices right now.

Still using office 2000 on a few stations with no problems.
Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users

Mark

In not considering a TAM environment, you can have multiple version of Office or Office applications such as Excel installed at the same time, however you can only have one version of Outlook installed at the same time.  I'd suspect for TAM that you could just edit the WINTAM.INI to point at the version of Excel that works best.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security