Main Menu

P to V timeframe

Started by Lynne Desrochers, April 24, 2013, 03:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

My main server is running 2003. I want to move it to my Virtual Server, running VMWare (currently running only citrix). I also think I need to move it from 2003 to 2008. I'm currently working on getting a quote so I was wondering what a decent approximation of time to move from the P to V? Also, what's the best plan of attack? Start spinning up a 2008 and migrate the data?
Thank you for any advice.
Lynne
Lynne Desrochers

Mark

I can tell you I've done multiple P2V during business/production hours and it was quite fast! 15-20 mins, no data loss.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Silly question I know, but why aren't you considering Server 2012?  I can't imagine that it's going to take Applied THAT long to support it!   ;) ;D ;D
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Golas

Mark, if I could do P2V in 15-20 minutes I'd do all my boxen in the next two hours! As far as just spinning up a new VM and moving data over, thats a hard call without knowing what services are being moved, how much data, how fast the boxes are, etc etc. You can boot and have a server running in a VM in under an hour, maybe another hour or so for patching, and then go from there.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

I used VMware Converter.  It worked quite well, except for a few snags that I had to work through, like taking the /3G switch out of boot.ini on my Exchange server.

Jeff Z - Server 2008 is stable and "current" even though 2012 is out now.  when you purchase a server from Dell right now, it still comes with 2008.  plus, anyone who has software assurance -- it doesn't even matter.  you can run 2008 and test 2012 until you know it's compatible with everything and then upgrade or migrate or whatever.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on April 25, 2013, 10:24:34 AM
I used VMware Converter.  It worked quite well, except for a few snags that I had to work through, like taking the /3G switch out of boot.ini on my Exchange server.

Jeff Z - Server 2008 is stable and "current" even though 2012 is out now.  when you purchase a server from Dell right now, it still comes with 2008.  plus, anyone who has software assurance -- it doesn't even matter.  you can run 2008 and test 2012 until you know it's compatible with everything and then upgrade or migrate or whatever.

An excellent point!  I keep forgetting that you guys with unlimited IT budgets can afford the the Microsoft's Software Assurance plan.   ;)   +1 for the info and wisdom.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on April 24, 2013, 03:50:38 PM
My main server is running 2003. I want to move it to my Virtual Server, running VMWare (currently running only citrix). I also think I need to move it from 2003 to 2008. I'm currently working on getting a quote so I was wondering what a decent approximation of time to move from the P to V? Also, what's the best plan of attack? Start spinning up a 2008 and migrate the data?
Thank you for any advice.
Lynne

you know what -- I jumped on this thread too quick.  I think the best plan of action would be to spin up a new 2008 server and migrate data.  you can't upgrade from 2003 to 2008 that I know of, and you wouldn't even want to anyway.

As far as doing a P2V -- with VMware, you can test that in a production environment easily.  just do the P2V but make sure the Virtual machine is set to NOT be connected to the network at boot up.  Then you can time it and plan from there if you chose to go that route.  That is exactly what I did.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Lynne Desrochers

Ok, well the quote I got was for 25 hours for this. Create a Windows 2008 server and migrate the data. Does that sound high?
Thank you!
Lynne Desrochers

Mark

oh boy.. I don't know.  My initial reaction is yes, sounds very high.  If your VMware infrastructure is already in place, it will only take like maybe 30 minutes max to spin up the VM, then however long it takes for Windows updates,etc.

I think I could have this all done in a single 8 hour shift, or less, depending on what's being migrated over, data transfer rates, etc.

What does everyone else think?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Coral

I had a very difficult p to v with errors, etc. It ran overnight and took nearly 10 hours when it finally did work. This was a sequel server move.
Coral Benton
Epic Online

Mark

Quote from: Coral on April 25, 2013, 03:33:14 PM
I had a very difficult p to v with errors, etc. It ran overnight and took nearly 10 hours when it finally did work. This was a sequel server move.

I worked through issues like that.  Never let it run that long, just cancelled it and tried to figure out what was taking it so long and would do it over.  The thing is, when doing a P2V with VMware converter, it makes NO changes to the source machine.  So you could clone the same machine over and over while users are accessing it.  Sure, it may slow a little, but I never had any complaints.

It also probably depends on your hardware.  I was converting PowerVault 2850's to our SAN which is Fiber connected.
Mark Piontek, MBA

apiercy

25 hours seems like a bit much. That seems like a "we've never done it before" time quote. Or perhaps a "we always have trouble with it so let's make it worth our while" quote. Either way I say ask them for references of other clients they've done VM work for. See how the other clients feel about their P2V competence. 

Bloody Jack Kidd

All the P2V jobs I've done have gone faster than expected, shouldn't take more than a few hours for even a very large VM.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Lynne Desrochers

apiercy - exactly how I felt about it. Thank you all for your input!
Lynne Desrochers