PaperPort Software

Started by Jeff Zylstra, March 13, 2013, 12:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

I have a user who used PaperPort and would like to try it again.  I've heard the version 14 is not a good version because they dumbed down the editing of PDF and TIF files, and also the performance isn't all that good when opening folders (possibly an indexing issue?).  What versions are known to work fairly well?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

JohnGage

I believe 9 is widely considered the best version, but you'll have OS compatibility issues past XP.  I have 11 installed on my workstation and it works well but is sluggish when using large (50+ item) network folders.  IMO the document editing has never changed over the various versions although perhaps Nuance made some poor decisions in v14, wouldn't be the first time.
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: JohnGage on March 13, 2013, 02:59:37 PM
I believe 9 is widely considered the best version, but you'll have OS compatibility issues past XP.  I have 11 installed on my workstation and it works well but is sluggish when using large (50+ item) network folders.  IMO the document editing has never changed over the various versions although perhaps Nuance made some poor decisions in v14, wouldn't be the first time.

Version 14 had very mixed reviews from the website that I saw, and both of the things that I mentioned were complaints.  I can find version 12 on Amazon or Froogle, but can't find any other older versions.  Just wondering if 12 is/was a viable version for use with Windows 7?  Also, would be interested to see what others here think of version 14?  Thanks in advance.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Alice Mooney

We're using v9 and still on XP.  Heard bad reviews about higher versions.  I don't know what will happen when they start with VDI later this year. No one's asked me what insurance uses now that needs to be taken in to consideration.
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Ben Thoele

Version 9 with service pack 3 is the best for Windows XP users.  If you need Windows 7 support, I'm not sure.
Ben Thoele, I.T. Coordinator
TAM 12.2
33 Users
Mahowald Insurance
Saint Cloud, MN

Ben Thoele

Quote from: Alice on March 13, 2013, 03:40:16 PM
I don't know what will happen when they start with VDI later this year. No one's asked me what insurance uses now that needs to be taken in to consideration.

That's awesome that they aren't talking to you about your applications before doing a VDI deployment.  This sounds like the intro to classic fail. 
Ben Thoele, I.T. Coordinator
TAM 12.2
33 Users
Mahowald Insurance
Saint Cloud, MN

Sherry Burrell

I use ver 12.1 on windows 7.
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic 2022 Online w/CSR24, 6 users

Lynn Stillings

PP9 is not compatible with Win7, only XP. If it's XP stick with 9. If Win7 I would go with 12. The issue we found with 14 is it has lots and lots of features for cloud usage that we don't want or need, and it was sluggish. We would still be on 9 if we could. v12 is OK, but we think they reduced the user friendly-ness (is that a word) from v9.
Lynn Stillings, IT Admin.
Private Cloud/TAM 2015, F@2014 45 Users
Neil-Garing Insurance
Glenwood Springs, CO

Alice Mooney

Quote from: Ben Thoele on March 13, 2013, 05:13:46 PM
Quote from: Alice on March 13, 2013, 03:40:16 PM
I don't know what will happen when they start with VDI later this year. No one's asked me what insurance uses now that needs to be taken in to consideration.

That's awesome that they aren't talking to you about your applications before doing a VDI deployment.  This sounds like the intro to classic fail.
Yup, I agree. I've seen those involved have several meetings and I'm hoping they just haven't got to the insurance stuff yet. Otherwise insurance users will be out of luck.
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Lynn Stillings on March 13, 2013, 06:56:39 PM
PP9 is not compatible with Win7, only XP. If it's XP stick with 9. If Win7 I would go with 12. The issue we found with 14 is it has lots and lots of features for cloud usage that we don't want or need, and it was sluggish. We would still be on 9 if we could. v12 is OK, but we think they reduced the user friendly-ness (is that a word) from v9.

Good to know that there is at least a semi-viable option.  I've seen Nuance separate functions and create more packages over the years, and usually not to the user's benefit.  I will investigate version 12. 

Also, has anyone ever tried this software? 

http://www.lucion.com/terminology-paperport.html?gclid=CKfIjv2s_LUCFexaMgodhD4Ajg

It looks like it has a little less features than PaperPort, but I feel I need to look at alternatives to PP.  Does anyone else have any good alternatives to PaperPort?

brinkerdana

"It looks like it has a little less features than PaperPort, but I feel I need to look at alternatives to PP.  Does anyone else have any good alternatives to PaperPort?"

No, but I'll be interested to see what you find out.

I liked using PPT to organize documents prior to attaching them in TAM or emailing them to clients, companies.   Last good version I used was V9.
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Mark

I used PaperPort back when I worked with Trisha -- but here -- we have no need/use for it.  We don't really stack and unstack... not sure why because that's what I did all day long with PaperPort.  eTFile can stack and unstack, etc, but we don't even use that feature.  I've shown it to many people and there is no interest because there is no need.

Definitely not implying that you shouldn't have a need for it.  That was basically my whole Job at Horton.  Stacking, grouping, attaching.  Rinse & repeat.  wonder why I'm not there anymore?  ;)  8)

Jeff, maybe you'll want to take a step back and look at your workflow and determine if this is a feature that you do really need.  Maybe you did that already, or maybe you're just wanting to try this and see if it makes sense, I don't know.  Just tossing out my two cents!
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on March 14, 2013, 03:46:16 PM
I used PaperPort back when I worked with Trisha -- but here -- we have no need/use for it.  We don't really stack and unstack... not sure why because that's what I did all day long with PaperPort.  eTFile can stack and unstack, etc, but we don't even use that feature.  I've shown it to many people and there is no interest because there is no need.

Definitely not implying that you shouldn't have a need for it.  That was basically my whole Job at Horton.  Stacking, grouping, attaching.  Rinse & repeat.  wonder why I'm not there anymore?  ;)  8)

Jeff, maybe you'll want to take a step back and look at your workflow and determine if this is a feature that you do really need.  Maybe you did that already, or maybe you're just wanting to try this and see if it makes sense, I don't know.  Just tossing out my two cents!

Thanks, Mark.  I'm think my employee already took your advice and has figured out a new workflow.  I think she figured out that although the workflow was different, it took the same amount of time and effort, so it was a net zero change.  I will still investigate PP, or the Lucion software, but it's less important than it was a day or so ago.  Thank you.

Robin Deatherage

I have another Nuance product, PDF Converter.  It works well, has a lot of the same features of PaperPort.  There is a document assembly area to help you move pages around, similar to the stack and unstack but not exactly.  It also has formtyper included like PaperPort.  It's not as user friendly as PaperPort but it's a good option.  I don't recall if PaperPort has this or not, but in PDF Converter, you can take a PDF and turn it into a Word or Excel file and it does a pretty good job of getting everything converted correctly, very little clean up needed if any.   
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Robin Deatherage on March 15, 2013, 10:53:26 AM
I have another Nuance product, PDF Converter.  It works well, has a lot of the same features of PaperPort.  There is a document assembly area to help you move pages around, similar to the stack and unstack but not exactly.  It also has formtyper included like PaperPort.  It's not as user friendly as PaperPort but it's a good option.  I don't recall if PaperPort has this or not, but in PDF Converter, you can take a PDF and turn it into a Word or Excel file and it does a pretty good job of getting everything converted correctly, very little clean up needed if any.

Exactly what I was talking about, where they split off features and "dumbed" down the product, only they didn't make it any faster or easier to use.  I think they need to stop "improving" on PaperPort for a while and just perfect it so that it works fast and reliably.  All this non-sense in version 14 is just another way to separate users from their money without adding any useful features, but still charge more and more for the product.  JMO, of course.