PaperPort Software

Started by Jeff Zylstra, March 13, 2013, 12:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Deatherage

Something else I just thought of, unless it's changed in recent versions, PaperPort does not work on a terminal server but PDF Converter does. 
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Bob

Since we went to W7 stopped using PP as it required updating version 9.x to 12.x.  I just use Adobe and print to that.   Pretty much used PP for month-end reports but just printing to PDF works fine so we never replaced nor now do I feel need to..

Mark

FWIW, the free PDFCreator (not to be confused with PDF Creator) can combine images as well.  There is a pause button on the program, then you print whatever it is to the virtual printer, and you cna re-order, then combine.  Can print to many image file types (pdf, tiff, jpg, abc, xyz, bbd, 123, etc)
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on March 15, 2013, 02:32:43 PM
FWIW, the free PDFCreator (not to be confused with PDF Creator) can combine images as well.  There is a pause button on the program, then you print whatever it is to the virtual printer, and you cna re-order, then combine.  Can print to many image file types (pdf, tiff, jpg, abc, xyz, bbd, 123, etc)

Thank you, Mark.  I am assuming that you are talking about the free one from PrimoPDF.Com.  In reviewing these programs, it is clear that I haven't kept up over the year, and that many of the free PDF "reader" or "printer" program offer WAY more free features than they used to.  It would seem that most free "reader" programs allow you to not only complete PDF forms, but many will now let you save the completed forms as well. 

And many of the PDF "printer" programs allow you to add, delete, or reorder pages as well as combine PDF files.  Some also allow extensive watermarking and/or comments to be added.  Makes me think that we no longer really need a PaperPort type of product anymore. 

I checked out that Lucion "File Manager" program and it looked like it was heavy on the "file manager" aspect, where it would set up "file cabinets" where you could store different types of files including Outlook Emails, and have it indexed and searchable with keywords.  In my experience, that is what brought PaperPort to its knees, so I'm not too keen on that type of thing.  Besides, it needs to be attached in TAM anyways.

Bob, I don't know how convenient Acrobat is for Month End reports, but I will say that FinePrint's "PDFFactory" software is very handy and convenient for unattended printing of reports such as nighttime utility reports.  You print to it like a regular printer, and report after report will keep on printing without prompting.  This allows you to name and save a file at that time when all the print jobs have finished. You can then add, delete or reorder pages at that time, or split the pages into a new file.  It's very flexible, completely intuitive, and rock steady reliable.   It also automatically saves a file just in case the power goes out before you've had a chance to save the file in the morning.  It makes being "paperless" a convenient thing.

Perhaps a blog on the subject of various flavors of PDF software and the choices by someone who is knowledgeable would be in order...  I know that is NOT me.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

The free PDFCreator I'm referring to is Open Source and downlaoded from SourceForge.net.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on March 18, 2013, 09:58:55 AM
The free PDFCreator I'm referring to is Open Source and downlaoded from SourceForge.net.

But of course.  Silly me.  I should have known it was open source!  ;)  These things seem be a dime a dozen now.  Apparently competition is good for development, as all of them seem to be pretty capable.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

JohnGage

I have heard that the most recent version of Paperport was redesigned so that it will work in a Terminal Service environment.  I have no experience with it myself but it's a logical change for Nuance.
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

hchb

I use Version 12.1 on Windows 7 and love it.  Works great for what I need and the annotation doesn't lag, which was an issue on the previous version we had... although now I can't remember which one it was.

Good luck!

Terry Evans

PaperPort Professional 12.0 on sale for $27.95 - http://www.purplus.net/papr121.html
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz