Personal Scanner of choice?

Started by Terry Evans, December 13, 2012, 04:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Evans

I have been using the ScanSnaps for quite a few years and they have been great little machines.  I replaced an older S500 with the current model S1500 a few months ago and everything is running nicely.  I paid a little over $400 for it.

Costco has a Brother ADS-2000 for $269.99 (including delivery) right now.  The specs look comparable, the reviews look pretty good AND it's TWAIN compliant.  I have another S500 that needs replacing and I'm wondering if anyone else has used a Brother for a ScanSnap replacement.  Any other cost effective models out there?
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

Jeff Zylstra

I am of the mind that the scanner use is waning, given all of the PDF files that are now out there.  For only $269, I'd try the Brother unit and toss it in a couple of years if you need to.  I have several $600 Canon DR 2080 scanners that are still going strong after 10 years or so.  I'm ashamed to say it, but only 2 of the 5 scanners have ever had a roller kit, much less any other parts put into them and they work fine.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop