Main Menu

Router or modem?

Started by Billy Welsh, October 09, 2012, 11:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Welsh

Ever since Isaac, the internet at home is spotty at best.  Trying to determine the culprit - DSL modem or router.

The router is less than 12 months old, so of course I lean towards the DSL modem that is years old and was a refurb when I got it.  But the modem usually shows a SYNC and rebooting the router seems to fix the dead connection.

Both components were on a generator after Isaac, and they are not on a UPS due to their location in the house.

Router is a Cisco M10.  I upgraded the firmware the other night but no change.  Very little info in the log for my limited knowledge.

Is there any trick other than lugging a laptop to the upstairs closet and plugging it directly into the modem?  That is what the ISP suggested; I am hoping there is an easier way.  (In my next house the location of the tech demarc will be planned MUCH better.)  I haven't yet tried Cisco support; I wanted your input as "ammo" before I go that route.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Bloody Jack Kidd

unfortunately the quickest way to rule out the modem is to connect to it directly... so I think I'd have to side with your ISP.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Zylstra

I have found that a good power cycling of BOTH units is often helpful.  I don't know if it's heat, bad ju-ju, or just what it is, but shutting both units off for about an hour or so and letting them cool down and then powering up your modem, then router, then computer is often helpful.  How long it last is another issue, but it sometimes clears issues with your ISP that are tough to get rid of any other way. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop