Notification problem

Started by Hans Manhave, July 10, 2012, 03:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

Not recognizing a better subsection to put this in, I'm posting it here.  A mod can move it to a better place if there is one.

I have a file synchro program that is supposed to e-mail me when it is done a task.  For some time it has not done this and I just found that it was keeping a log of the errors.  So here is one of the initial errors at the top, then after it the error it currently gives.  Any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong?

When the problem started:
2/27/2012 11:32:28 PM
Error:
Source: cEmail.SendEmail
No: 0

- More Information -
Error Num: 30019
Error Desc: Server replied with invalid authentication response.
Transcript: 220-xxxxx.xxxxhosting.com ESMTP Exim 4.69 #1 Mon, 27 Feb 2012 23:32:17 -0600
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.
EHLO doofus.someplace.com.local
250-xxxxx.xxxxhosting.com Hello doofus.someplace.com.local [11.222.333.444]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
AUTH LOGIN
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
aG1hbmhhdmVAamFja3Nvbi1sbG95ZC5jb20=
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
TUFSU1VQSUFMOQ==
535 Incorrect authentication data

What it does now:
7/10/2012 1:28:16 PM
Error:
Source: cEmail.SendEmail
No: 0

- More Information -
Error Num: 10060
Error Desc: The current connection has timeout.
Transcript:
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

Are you in fact passing authentication credentials to the email server?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Hans Manhave

Outgoing SMTP server which I know is correct for an iPhone (exg4.exghost.com - Appriver).

Port number 2525 (which I hope is correct for secure connection)

My own account name & password.

Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

The port must be correct or you wouldn't be getting this far.  Have you tried re-entering your credentials?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Hans Manhave

Yes, I did that.  Will now re-install the little prog and see if that fixes it.

Must make copy of configured tasks before it possibly overwrites. 

> Reinstalled.  No relief.  I'm now looking into the virus scanners, malware purgers, etc that are present on my system.  Some of those don't distinguish between bona fida 'phone home' programs from lesser known utility software providers and malware.  Things such as Radmin and SniffPass continuously have to be protected from elimination, maybe this is another one.

Hans Manhave

Some how, some way, out of the blue, one notification out of twenty made it.  There is only one general setting that turns this on or off, it looks like the second (job ending notification) notification of the second batch.  I guess there was a momentary lapse somewhere.  lol.

Hans Manhave

This item has been resolved.  A change in SMTP server made the difference.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Dutch Dude on July 17, 2012, 11:54:25 AM
This item has been resolved.  A change in SMTP server made the difference.

I know that our mail server requires authentication, and I was going to ask you if that came into play.  I guess not.  Glad you got it working.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

I was using a SMTP server that required authentication.  However, as luck would have it, I needed to use a different one.  One that does not need authentication.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Dutch Dude on July 17, 2012, 12:58:20 PM
I was using a SMTP server that required authentication.  However, as luck would have it, I needed to use a different one.  One that does not need authentication.

OK.  Then I guess I should have said something sooner!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Billy Welsh

Was this via AppRiver?

Our phone system e-mails WAV files of voice-mails, but is unable to authenticate the outgoing mail so AppRiver told us we could not use their servers to send these e-mails.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Charlie Charbonneau

Billy. 

Get a yahoo/gmail or some other free email service (appriver approved) generic email for the voicemail box that will provide pop settings and use it to send your voicemail to yourself.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Mark

Use Gmail.  You can setup filters -- which are like rules in Outlook, if that is at all helpful.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Billy Welsh on July 17, 2012, 03:45:57 PM
Was this via AppRiver?

Our phone system e-mails WAV files of voice-mails, but is unable to authenticate the outgoing mail so AppRiver told us we could not use their servers to send these e-mails.

Yes.  It used to work for more than a year.  Then in February, something changed.  I thought I had done it, but it took this long for me to really follow up on it as it was not too urgent.  But now I started missing the notifications and decided to get to the bottom of it.  Well, I got there.  It was still as grimy as it was before, but they let down a rope.  ;)

Bob

Ok I did it, I admit it..  Couldn't stand seeing 99 anymore..  So 100 it is..   ;)

Carry on..  :)