Main Menu

Backup Drive error

Started by Jim Jensen, April 04, 2011, 02:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

I've been getting a periodic error from my backup drive, through Backup Exec. It's a PowerVault DAT drive from Dell that I ordered with the server in 2007. I put new tapes into service last summer, from HP. I've had repeated issues with an error from the drive indicating that the heads need to be cleaned. I've repeatedly done so and it sometimes comes back within a day or two of running the cleaning tape. The error is "Error : e00084ec - A tape read/write error has occurred". Solutions page, http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5433 shows lots of possibilities, including bad cable termination, bad cables, bad tapes, dirty tapes, driver issues. I've not changed any cabling, drivers or anything since before the issue started occurring. I don't necessarily suspect the tapes, because I don't think the issue started at the same time as replacing the tapes. I did buy the warranty extension from Dell, so one solution is to call them, but wondering if the IT brains here have quick suggestions or experience.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

Since it's under warranty, I would call them.  I have had a Dell LTO-3 drive replaced 4 or 5 times during it's warranty.  I have also had internal and external cables replaced during warranty.  The tape guys at Dell are pretty decent.

That said, how old is your cleaning tape?  Have you updated any drivers for the tape drive?  Are you using the Symantec drivers that BU can install, or Dell/IBM/Microsoft, etc drivers?  Is the size of your backup fitting on the tape -- ignoring any compressed values (assume the lowest GB specified on the tape)?  If external, make sure the cable is visually in good condition, not pinched, melted, etc.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

running diagnostic file that Dell has in support area. It looks like it may include firmware - will update them. The cleaning tape is probably 4 years old, maybe less - I have 2 or 3. Will also check for updated drivers. Then, unles someone here says - "I had exactly that and this is the issue", will call support if it continues. No reason to suspect that brand of tape would be an issue (as Symantec wants to imply it could)?
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

Before you update the firmware, I would try everything else.  Cleaning tapes are only good for so many uses, so make sure you have not exceeded that and maybe try a different/new one.  You didn't mention the drivers for the tape drive -- I would start there AFTER changing your cleaning tape.

Modified
Sorry, you did mention the drivers, but yeah, I would start there. lol
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

Dell is shipping me a replacement drive. Hopefully it will cure it.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Golas

I'll second what Mark says...backup drives never seem to last, and random errors without doing anything else is not firmware no matter what the vendor tries to make you believe.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jim Jensen

New one installed and seems to be ok. It doesn't like 1 or 2 of my tapes, but will deal with that. The swap was quick and painless. Took more time for the periodic vacuuming of the fans and such than swapping the drive. Funny part aobut the tape it doesn't like - it tells me that it doesn't recognize it and I should erase to make it usable, but it immediately ejects it, so I can't erase it!  :P
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Time for a new IOSafe backup unit and some removable USB hard drives.  ;)
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on April 19, 2011, 05:10:20 PM

I am going to consider the IOSafe option very seriously. Just need to sit down and look at again and verify whether I need to get an eSata card or not.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Gene Foraker

Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 20, 2011, 11:13:12 AM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on April 19, 2011, 05:10:20 PM

I am going to consider the IOSafe option very seriously. Just need to sit down and look at again and verify whether I need to get an eSATA card or not.

In my experiences with the beasts, you probably don't need a full card.  Almost any computer in the past 6 years has included SATA on the MB.  All you need is a cable from the SATA on the MB to a plug on the back of the computer.   It really isn't an interface "card" since it doesn't plug into a EISA slot, just an opening on the computer.  Memory fails me now on what they are called.   You then take a eSATA cable from the external drive to plug into the back of the computer.   The last 2 external enclosures I have bought included the interface and cables with the enclosure.   It is a little odd that the Iosafe does not.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Orlando Alonzo

I made a friend of mine buy the Iosafe solo (not pro) from Newegg a few days ago. 1.5TB USB 2.0 for $209 free shipping. It is used in conjunction with Acronis 10 Advanced Server and it works like a champ. Nothing to setup. Server assigned drive letter, and I had him create 2 folders 1 for full and 1 for incremental.

Full backups on tapes with verify generally took about 9 hours (really slow server). Full backup with validation on Iosafe took about 6 hrs. I'm guessing incrementals should take about 2 hours with validation.

BTW, I thought it would be bigger - footprint wise.
Orlando F. Alonzo III
RPM Insurance Agency • Staten Island, NY • oalonzo@rpminsurance.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Orlando Alonzo on April 20, 2011, 03:03:52 PM
I made a friend of mine buy the Iosafe solo (not pro) from Newegg a few days ago. 1.5TB USB 2.0 for $209 free shipping. It is used in conjunction with Acronis 10 Advanced Server and it works like a champ. Nothing to setup. Server assigned drive letter, and I had him create 2 folders 1 for full and 1 for incremental.

Full backups on tapes with verify generally took about 9 hours (really slow server). Full backup with validation on Iosafe took about 6 hrs. I'm guessing incrementals should take about 2 hours with validation.

BTW, I thought it would be bigger - footprint wise.

Just a side note, Alonzo.  Depending on the version of Acronis software he is using, it is possible to have it do a verify before the backup, and also after the backup -  all in the same backup task.  There are also options to verify just that particular backup and also the entire backup archive.  If you store more than one backup on a tape or disk, it may make sense to have it only check the most current backup.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Orlando Alonzo

It's set to do a verify of the most current backup after the backup has run. Using ABR10. The option that I wished it had is the ability to schedule the full backup and save it to a specific location and have the incremental save to another location all in the same backup plan. I know there's a dual destination option that automatically copies the backup to another location, but it's not what we're looking for.
Orlando F. Alonzo III

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Orlando Alonzo on April 20, 2011, 04:43:40 PM
It's set to do a verify of the most current backup after the backup has run. Using ABR10. The option that I wished it had is the ability to schedule the full backup and save it to a specific location and have the incremental save to another location all in the same backup plan. I know there's a dual destination option that automatically copies the backup to another location, but it's not what we're looking for.

Sorry, sounds like the server is just slow.  As an experiment, is it possible to run to backup tasks concurrently?  I don't know the ramifications of doing that, but it might be worth asking on the Acronis forums.  Hey, maybe they need an IOSAFE with eSATA!  ;D

Orlando Alonzo

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on April 21, 2011, 08:52:11 AM
Quote from: Orlando Alonzo on April 20, 2011, 04:43:40 PM

Sorry, sounds like the server is just slow.  As an experiment, is it possible to run to backup tasks concurrently?  I don't know the ramifications of doing that, but it might be worth asking on the Acronis forums.  Hey, maybe they need an IOSAFE with eSATA!  ;D

I believe it's is possible, but will just eat up too much resources on a 5 year old server with 1 GB of RAM.

The incremental took less than an 1 hour roughly 9GB. I thought of the eSATA, but the price for the USB 2.0 version was too good to pass up.
Orlando F. Alonzo III