Main Menu

Backup Drive error

Started by Jim Jensen, April 04, 2011, 02:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

Ok, I found these two ports on the back of my server (first image). Thought maybe they were eSata, but I don't think so now. SCSI connections?
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jim Jensen

I found an image online for eSATA cable/ports to plug into the MB. Gene, is that what you have in mind, as far as cabling goes and not buying an expansion card? (Had to split the post due to total image size being too large.)
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

No, the top one is SCSI of some variety (there are a few flavors with different pin counts), and the bottom is SATA.  You will want eSATA, which is different.  eSATA will be flat, whereas SATA will have be an L shaped plug
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Gene Foraker

Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 21, 2011, 02:39:14 PM
I found an image online for eSATA cable/ports to plug into the MB. Gene, is that what you have in mind, as far as cabling goes and not buying an expansion card? (Had to split the post due to total image size being too large.)

Yes, that type of pass-through cable is really all you need.   It came with each of the external enclosures I have purchased.  Several of the more recent home computers I have built have eSATA connections on the front and I did a similar internal connection for those.

While I do have an external hard drive for backup connected to my home PC, the external enclosures I mentioned were for my Warner cable TV DVR box which can take an external eSATA storage drive to boost its capacity.  TWC does not advertise that ability, but it is simple.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jim Jensen

IOSafe ordered. I think my Thinkpad has an eSata connection on it - will see if that one works to try it out when it arrives until I get the proper connections on the server.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Orlando Alonzo

Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 22, 2011, 11:06:52 AM
IOSafe ordered. I think my Thinkpad has an eSata connection on it - will see if that one works to try it out when it arrives until I get the proper connections on the server.

Nice. Did you go with the pro? You didn't forget to apply the 20% AU discount, right?
Orlando F. Alonzo III
RPM Insurance Agency • Staten Island, NY • oalonzo@rpminsurance.com

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Orlando Alonzo on April 22, 2011, 11:13:48 AM
Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 22, 2011, 11:06:52 AM

Nice. Did you go with the pro? You didn't forget to apply the 20% AU discount, right?

Did go pro and did indeed remember the discount.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jim Jensen

Iosafe arrived today. Here's a shot of the cord - the eSata card I posted a photo of would not work. That one has a small piece sticking upward on the male connector that the cord connection will not accomodate. It also came with a USB cable. I can try it with my laptop, but will have to use USB connection. The connection on the laptop I thought could eSATA is a display port that I'm not familiar with. Will have to order an eSATA cable or card for the server before using with it.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis