Hyper-V virtual PC

Started by Alice, March 08, 2011, 09:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

We are looking for a different solution to running Night Utilities on a PC here at HQ. We previously were running it on the Windows 2000 Server because of bandwidth problems, but now we have a Windows 2008 Server and that's no longer an option.  When I include download in NU, it runs 3 hours longer than it did before. NU starts at 4:00am and I can't start it sooner because I'll miss the download from our major carrier out here on the west coast, and the backup finishes at around 3am. I was thinking about taking downloads out of NU and processing it when I get in, but I still have the problem of it taking forever to update. Putting a PC at the data center is not an option at this time because the rack space is limited.
I'm working with my boss and my network engineer to come up with an alternate solution. They would like me to find out if anyone is running Tam using hyper-v virtual PC (on the server I think) and does Applied support this setup.  Up front I need to say I know nothing about any of this. Is anyone willing to speak with my network guy so you can speak the same language and have a quicker conversation than if I was the go-between?
Any help/advice is appreciated!

Alice

I found on the KB that Applied does support this (KB59398) but my network guy still may need to speak with someone if anyone is willing.

Alice

Since Applied supports this, we're going to give it a whirl. Let me know if anyone is interested in the stats comparing this setup to having NU w/downloads run on a workstation.

Bob

Using M$ Hyper-V with our 2008 Server.   Virtualized the old server SBS2003 (obviously includes exchange) and did same with 2008 Terminal Server.

TAM runs just fine, doesn't care doesn't know the difference.   :)

Alice

Thank you Bob. Thought no one had this setup since I didn't hear anything. That's why I offered stats. Good deal...

Mark

I'm using VMware and run NU on an XP Pro VM.  We do not do download in NU.. not sure why.  We do use that VM for download as well though, so I can tell you that it all works just fine.

Applied wont really know it's a VM unless someone tells them it is or they have reason to go looking and try to figure out if it is or not.

I can't think of a reason they'd bother unless they were looking for an "easy out" of a seriously abnormal issue.  <-- that's my opinion of course. YMMV.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Alice

gracias Marco! good to that also

Alice

I'm not trying to beat this to death, but I have another question.
My network guy is offering Windows 7, not XP. Should I install the Tam 10.7 update so I can have 32-bit Windows 7? Does it matter? I checked with Applied and they do support this setup:  create a virtual workstation off a virtual server (I think I'm saying it right)

A lot of this is over my head so I apologize to those of you who consider it common knowledge.  :)

Bob

Yes be safe load 10.7 but I'm running most everyone here on Windows 7 and TAM 10.5.

Alice

Thanks Bob. Installing over the weekend so can move forward on Monday.

Alice

Update

It took two weeks, but everything is working using this setup. So that's Night Utilities including download, Tam reports and even the Progressive Policy Downloader.
What a relief!  Thanks Bob and Mark for your comments  ;)