Win 16 insufficient resources

Started by Andrew Carrick, February 02, 2011, 03:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

When logging into TAM, TAMhost doesn't load. One of our Dell XP machines keeps giving this error on a regular basis, it suggests restart, but that's not practical so many times a day. Anybody got any suggestions?

I tried killing ntvdm and wowexec processes and this sometimes works to allow log in but not always. PC has been fine for a couple of years.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Gene Foraker

Wow!  You are really ahead of me.   I'm just starting to get used to Win 7.   ;D
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Andrew Carrick

Ouch there goes another rib as I ROFL.....   ;)
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Ray Alvarez

We had this happen to 1 machine about a year ago and Applied logged in and made some changes to a file.  I THINK it was the config.sys or something like that.  Once they did that, we never had the problem again.
Ray Alvarez, AAI, AIS
Petschauer Insurance Agency
New York City
TAM 2014;
Exchange; Win2003 Server; 15 Users
Upload, Download/TS/CL/PL

Andrew Carrick

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Orlando Alonzo

I think you need to make sure the following lines are in the config.sys
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=150
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /P /E:2048
Orlando F. Alonzo III
RPM Insurance Agency • Staten Island, NY • oalonzo@rpminsurance.com

Bob

I agree this sets up 16bit environment.  I thought config.sys was replaced with config.nt with XP and up.  Use to be a buffer line as well but not sure if still applies.  Heck it's been a very long time since I've even looked at these files.

Just curious why workstation worked for year or two and only now having problem.  Did the file get deleted?

Problem could even be something else but in general most 16bit errors point to environment set in these files or the absence of them. 

Jeff Zylstra

If I remember correctly, the environment space needs to be increased in order for TAM to store certain parameters and variables in that space.  The /E:2048 on your command.com is the key parameter.  Do that and reboot and you should be good, I think.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bloody Jack Kidd

Bob is right - files should be config.nt and autoexec.nt - unless your on Win98 or something silly like that.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Andrew Carrick

i'm now getting "NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal operation (string fo numbers) Choose close to terminate". Any thoughts?
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Andrew Carrick

I have restored config file to original state and this fixed the new issue. Wonder if I'll get the old issue now....
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Mark

Whenever I've had this happen it was almost always related to the "path" environment variable being too long.  This most often occurred after installing something on the workstation in question.

Editing the path variable and taking out whatever might have been added usually solves the problem.  I suppose this may not be a permanent fix though..
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Andrew Carrick

Thanks. I'll just keep an eye on it, no repeat since last posted.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK