TAM Version 10.5 ...... Don't Do IT

Started by Lori, September 24, 2010, 01:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lori

I just received this from an Agency Principal in our group.

If you have not gone to 10.5 ..... don't it is VERY buggy.  This version is very buggy....kind of like going to a dot 0 upgrade.  The biggest issue is with C/L AUTO, it will duplicate vehicles, and change the vehicle # e.g  veh .001, 002, 004, 005, 006, 006, 006 etc.  Applied has no fix other than for us to fix manually.  Other bugs have been: corrupting the signature files (.pcx)  until you reload them you cannot print certs or apps.   We lost formatting on ~ 30% of form letters, many many many printing errors. 

On the accord 126 (2007/05) it is adding data to the current app.....from who knows where.  This is going to be A LOT of work to fix.

For any TAM generated activity, when we attach a file, the file is being attached with the need "indexing" info, i.e. policy type, policy # this may not affect any of you, depending on how your vendor interfaces with applied...but if you are using connexion you may have any issue.

Jim Jensen

From what I saw of the release notes, I had no desire to go to 10.5. Very little to offer US agencies and I did notice some new problems that result. Sounds like they need to forget the changes they made and make a new 10.5 from scratch. It sounds like the new Canadian forms have lots of problems too. Really, really troubling to hear of another very crappy release on the heels of "we're taking it slowly on releases to make sure they are quality releases that don't cause problems."
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Steven Strauss

Wow, thanks for the warning; such information is greatly appreciated. Due to the cert issue, this was something we were looking to fast track.
Steven Strauss - CFO
NIP Group, Inc.  Woodbridge, NJ
Epic 2022 R2
CSR24, Salesforce, Cognos Finance, TM1

GeorgeW

Wonder what version they upgraded from?  We are currently on 10.4 and have no plans at this point to load 10.5 Waiting for 10.6 to see what that brings!
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Jan Regnier

Ok.....so HOW are they (AS) testing this stuff before it goes out?  It seems like we hear this just about everytime an update is done.....Isn't Beta testing supposed to weed out these issues?   Granted not every issue will affect every agency but MOST agencies have comml clients with autos! 

Don't "they" understand we would LOVE to have only one upgrade/update every few years if it was just a "PERFECT" upgrade/update. - no bugs, no issues, ( or very, very, very, very minor things) - gosh - how many years have we asked them not to BREAK things that work with a new update.  I can see if it happens to something that may not be used by most agencies and would be hard pressed to see it in Beta testing - but - CAutos is a pretty commonly used area!  That should have been glowing like Rudolph's nose!
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Bloody Jack Kidd

I like patches... I prefer patches... I mean some of the applications running on - well let's say the AU server might be something like Apache 2.0.63.1_09 - and I'm happy when 2.0.63.1_14 comes out and addresses a small flaw in mod_rewrite.  I don't need the whole application reworked, just fix the problem or make a small improvement in some area.

I mean, address the little issues, PMRs whatever and release patches.  You can still have major releases, or service packs or patch roll-ups on occasion, but I tell you, small fixes are the way to go.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on September 24, 2010, 03:03:34 PM
I like patches... I prefer patches... I mean some of the applications running on - well let's say the AU server might be something like Apache 2.0.63.1_09 - and I'm happy when 2.0.63.1_14 comes out and addresses a small flaw in mod_rewrite.  I don't need the whole application reworked, just fix the problem or make a small improvement in some area.

I mean, address the little issues, PMRs whatever and release patches.  You can still have major releases, or service packs or patch roll-ups on occasion, but I tell you, small fixes are the way to go.

Yep, I have one piece of generally available software that claimed to be able to do something.  I tried to do that certain something and it failed.  I let the general user base know.  The owner of the company immediately jumped on it and I had a fix to test within 24 hours.  I tested and it worked but still needed improvement at a different level.  Today, a week later, I have the patch to correct it completely.  When these people release their quarterly or sooner update, it lists the actually end-user description of the problem to indicate exactly what was corrected.  I could go on and mention companies that provide the toolkits for free to make your program interface with their program.

Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Lance Bateman

I "think", regardless of the official line from Applied (Kellner) - any testing they do internally is only on what they think is being done with their system, and only on what modules they think they have touched.  The problem (and I've been a Project Manager at programming firm) is that unless they have and pay attention to a complete version control program that includes a reference to all program modules that include or touch any of the variables or functions in the one they work on - they posibly aren't checking those when they "check" a program module in.

And don't get me started on the totally inadequate error handling routines.

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Ian Blundell

I'm on 10.5 (up from 10.4) and there aren't any new bugs that I'm aware of.  We are a beta tester but don't check features/workflows that we don't use.

We aren't jumping through hoops or doing any special workflows updating apps or anything.  Most of the people here didn't even notice that we went from 10.4 to 10.5 - most of the features invloved Canadian forms.  The certs issue (allowing use of outdated ACORD forms didn't affect us since our procedures call for the latest version to be used always.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Lori

We are on 10.4 with no issues. The agency that had the issues that I originally posted are really going to be hurting now with all the manual hours it will take to fix what 10.5 broke.

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Ian Blundell on September 24, 2010, 04:31:31 PM
I'm on 10.5 (up from 10.4) and there aren't any new bugs that I'm aware of.  We are a beta tester but don't check features/workflows that we don't use.

We aren't jumping through hoops or doing any special workflows updating apps or anything.  Most of the people here didn't even notice that we went from 10.4 to 10.5 - most of the features invloved Canadian forms.  The certs issue (allowing use of outdated ACORD forms didn't affect us since our procedures call for the latest version to be used always.

Ian - you don't have the CAuto issue?
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

GeorgeW

We have "multiple" agencies and branches in TAM and because of the problem with Certificates printing the first agency regardless of whether or not it was the correct agency was going to be a huge problem.

We have both TAM and TAMonline. I see Applied has a fix for this as they are applying it this coming Sunday to TAMOnline.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Mark Rowe

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on September 24, 2010, 03:03:34 PM
I like patches... I prefer patches...

Patches imply that something is broken and we wouldn't want to imply that.

I have always believed that doing away with the patch system was a big mistake. I remember reading about Agency's struggling with the issues in the 9.xx series that weren't fixed until the next "upgrade". There...doesn't upgrade sound much better?
Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users

Judy Means

I hate to read this.  We're on 8.5 and need to upgrade.  Now that I have all the equipment done, I'm ready to do the software. 

So in essence, what is being said is to upgrade no further than 10.4 right now? 

I've missed the patches too.  If a problem is really really bad, they should release patches.  Some of their bugs could wind up costing an agency a lawsuit if the bug is very critical. 

I would like to see them pause in their "upgrades" and work specifically on 10.5 until they have it nearly bug free.

Judy
Judy Means
West Texas Insurance Exchange, Inc.
Odessa, Texas
TAM8.5 and other goodies