Anti Virus Alternative to Symantec

Started by Matthew Udovich, September 22, 2010, 03:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Udovich

Anyone switched from Symantec and have a success story to share or a horror story???

Bloody Jack Kidd

my horror story is switching TO Symantec.... had Sophos

Was recently at an InfoSec conference and Kaspersky did their song and dance - reasonably impressed by their Enterprise offerings - not so much so when it comes to their AV for Mac though. 
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Quote from: Matthew Udovich on September 22, 2010, 03:20:59 PM
Anyone switched from Symantec and have a success story to share or a horror story???

I am somewhat satisfied with SEP.  Never really had any of the problems or horror stories I hear from people, but I know that Symantec products in general do not uninstall very nicely.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Andrew Carrick

Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Jim Jensen

I never cared much for Symantec myself and used Trend for a long time. A couple of years ago they became difficult and I switched to ESET. I know several that have moved to them.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

Quote from: Andrew Carrick on September 23, 2010, 03:12:13 AM
We find McAfee pretty reliable.

Was this a poke at McAfee's recent screw up that left so many dead in the water, or do you really use McAfee happily?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on September 22, 2010, 03:55:49 PM
not so much so when it comes to their AV for Mac though. 

Just curious if you've ever tried ClamAV on a Mac and what your thoughts are on it.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Mark

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on September 23, 2010, 09:14:30 AM
McIntelfee

Hah!  You beat me to it!  I was going to bring that up, but I am slow this morning as I just sat down... an hour late.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bloody Jack Kidd

I'm two-thirds thru a large coffee - so I'm operating at peak efficiency for at least another 30 minutes.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

I see that. lol  I am burning my mouth on my coffee and contemplating what it would require to consume it intravenously.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Charlie Charbonneau

Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Andrew Carrick

Was this a poke at McAfee's recent screw up that left so many dead in the water, or do you really use McAfee happily?
[/quote]

No seriously, we went to Kaspersky last year and came back to McAfee. Very few problems ever encountered.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Charlie Charbonneau on September 23, 2010, 10:22:27 AM
Rick why'd you leave Sophos?

Our parent company was on Symantec - so it was decided to let our Sophos licensing lapse and switch. 
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Charlie Charbonneau

Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...