Security Manager Question

Started by Alice, September 21, 2010, 11:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

I need to create a new group to accommodate a new position in the service area. This person is to have basic csr access with additional rights to certain areas. Do I need to go through and select everything the csr group has then add what's needed, or can I create the group, put someone in there and give the "same as" rights and expect the group to automatically update? Guess I'm looking for a shortcut to save some time and a miracle maybe.
Has anyone done this or do I really need to start from scratch?

Andrew Carrick

You can "grant same as" for a Group. Try it, you can always delete the test group.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

DebAmstutz

You can make the person a member of the CSR group AND the new group you created.  I have created various groups with specific rights and some people here may be members of the CSR group and the Reports group and so on.  That works for me.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jan Regnier

Alice

I attached is link to a KB doc I printed out yesterday regarding Security Manager FAQs.  I thought it was a pretty good source of info.  It might be helpful.

https://www.appliedsystems.com/apps/Knowledgebase/Article.aspx?kb=32315
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Judy Means

I'm searching through security to let the CSR's print a deletion report.  They don't have the rights. 

Anyone know where that is?

Judy
Judy Means
West Texas Insurance Exchange, Inc.
Odessa, Texas
TAM8.5 and other goodies

Alice

Thanks everyone! Made my life a lot easier
gotta love this place

Andrew Carrick

Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Lance Bateman

Quote from: Judy Means on September 22, 2010, 11:22:57 AM
I'm searching through security to let the CSR's print a deletion report.  They don't have the rights. 

Anyone know where that is?

Judy

That may require some rights to reports.  That part gets a bit sticky.

Judy Means

Well, after some digging, I found it.  You click on Customer, and one of the options there is to Print the deletion report.  I was looking under cancellation and forms. 

All is well again.

Judy
Judy Means
West Texas Insurance Exchange, Inc.
Odessa, Texas
TAM8.5 and other goodies

Alice

Quote from: DebAmstutz on September 22, 2010, 09:14:16 AM
You can make the person a member of the CSR group AND the new group you created.  I have created various groups with specific rights and some people here may be members of the CSR group and the Reports group and so on.  That works for me.

Deb - does this work only if you use Inherited and not Deny? I'm thinking if anything in the CSR group is denied, then granted in another group, it would still be denied, no?
Thanks!

Lance Bateman

Quote from: Alice on September 27, 2010, 10:05:47 AM
Quote from: DebAmstutz on September 22, 2010, 09:14:16 AM

Deb - does this work only if you use Inherited and not Deny? I'm thinking if anything in the CSR group is denied, then granted in another group, it would still be denied, no?
Thanks!

If memory serves, by applying the "okay" in the Groups, avoiding "inherited" when setting up the Groups, and not "granting or denying" anything in individual profiles, you avoid the problems.  For instance, everyone in Accounting had certain access, but only those doing "Close Day" had other access.

Alice

thanks Lance.  Finally had some time to think about this and now it makes sense what everyone is saying.
Onward...