Scanning format '.MAX'

Started by Hans Manhave, August 23, 2010, 09:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

someone, please remind me how one opens a .max file.  We received these from someone scanning and cannot readily open them.

Thanks,
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jim Jensen

I believe that's the native format PaperPort uses.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Charlie Charbonneau

Correct.  Not sure if there is a ppt viewer available online or not, but if you need it converted to PDF and it's not too confidential send it to me and I'll convert it for you.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Hans Manhave

Taking Charlie up on the conversion offer.   :)

Is it hard to tell someone to change their scan settings / paperport settings to PDF?

I have no idea what was used at this moment, nobody has sent us a .max in ages.  We don't have or use Paperport.  Long ago I had a copy that came with a scanner.  I think it was in 2000/2001.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Charlie Charbonneau

Unfortunately my users had a habit of sending .max files out on occasion, which of course runs into your problem... you don't have it so can't open it... what customer is going to have Ppt?!  So I changed their scan settings to scan in as pdf's instead of max files and drilled into them to make sure they were sending out pdf's instead of .max's!

In Ppt 9 Tools/Options and Items tab if you change "print to PaperPort" option to PDF instead max, it will convert all items for you to pdf automatically.  otherwise right clicking on the item you can "Duplicate as a pdf"  or even set the "send to option" for outlook to convert .max items to pdf... Several ways to accomplish the same thing!  Just let them know that you can't open .max's and please send as .pdf's in the future...

I'll keep an eye out for your email.

Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.

Jim Jensen

I had it briefly as well, came with my Visioneer document scanner. Only used it a couple of times. I took it to a meeting where I was given about 70 copies of prospect policy info and used the max format. Discovered that one time that it didn't have much use and there wasn't much use to paperport if I could have it automatically scan to PDF anyway. Never used it for document storage - especially now that we're not restricted to attaching only TIF files.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Hans Manhave

@Charlie - Paperport instructions forwarded to our employee interfacing with .max agent.  Just one more service we offer: how to set up your software so we can communicate. 

I emailed the files, possibly stuck in your spam or my incoming spam?  Anyway, I found the PPT viewer, downloaded and installed.  Opened .max files and printed to PDF using our pdf utility.

PPT viewer can be found here: ftp://ftp.scansoft.com/pub/program/paperport/   bottom item "viewersetupex.exe' works installed in WinXPsp3.

Thanks for the help, on to the next Monday situation.

Charlie Charbonneau

Glad you found what you needed.  sent you a test email, as I never received yours.  Not in spam either.  another monday mystery!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

Hans Manhave

Got the test e-mail!  Would be handy if I knew how to type an e-mail address.  I could have clicked on it here, but I was forwarding what I had so I forwarded and then typed the e-mail address, but missed it by one letter.  Who knows where it went.  Certainly didn't come back.  Still, you were very helpful.