Main Menu

Scanners

Started by Coral, August 19, 2010, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coral

Anyone using a scanner other than a Canon for front end or back end scanning?
Coral Benton
Epic Online

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Coral on August 19, 2010, 04:05:33 PM

We're using Canon scanners, but I know that others who don't need the "acquire" function in TAM are using Fujitsu Scan Snap scanners that are not TWAIN compliant.  If you decide to look at Canon scanners, the 3010 is supposed to be the replacement for the 2080 and 2050 scanners.  It looks like everything is going from SCSI to USB now.   Someone told me that Windows 7 does not support TWAIN anymore.  Is that true?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Coral

I need the twain compliant for front and back end. Our current Canon scanner is not reading the scans reliably anymore. There are no Canon dealers anywhere around here and this seems much pricier than the last time I bought one.
Coral Benton
Epic Online

Hans Manhave

How is the color scanning with the 3010?
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Ian Blundell

Jeff
I got a 2010C when I couldn't get the 2050 any longer.  It is hooked up to a Win7 computer and seems to be working fine so far but it isn't in full production (read on my desk) yet though.

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on August 19, 2010, 04:16:35 PM
Quote from: Coral on August 19, 2010, 04:05:33 PM

We're using Canon scanners, but I know that others who don't need the "acquire" function in TAM are using Fujitsu Scan Snap scanners that are not TWAIN compliant.  If you decide to look at Canon scanners, the 3010 is supposed to be the replacement for the 2080 and 2050 scanners.  It looks like everything is going from SCSI to USB now.   Someone told me that Windows 7 does not support TWAIN anymore.  Is that true?
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: H_Manhave on August 20, 2010, 09:59:29 AM
How is the color scanning with the 3010?

When I checked Froogle.Com on pricing (the lowest for a 3010 was $745), there was one of the reviews that said that the color was not good at all.  The user went on to say that an HP model was much better, but he also said that it scanned at 4,800 DPI instead of 600 DPI, so I don't know if that is a fair comment or not since the Canon is designed for occasional color use.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

GeorgeW

I feel like we are the only agency using the "Import" feature for front end/back end scanning as I never see anyone else mention it. However, you should be able to use any scanner you want. Just scan the items in as "tif" files and then use the "Import" instead of "Aqcuire" function in TAM, find the file you scanned and import it. We do this in all of our offices. I have even tested on our network copier/scanner and was able to import the file.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Charlie Charbonneau

George,

I use "import" periodically as our network scanners default scan items as pdf's and converting to an acceptable tif is a pain in the arse... I could change the defaults but pdf's are prefered over tifs. 
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Jim Jensen

Does importing assign to files using the bardcode image? I do scan some to PDF, depending the likely use of the item later, then attach directly from the client file rather than using import. However, if it would assign them automatically using the barcode, I could scan all to PDF, then import them and let it go.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Charlie Charbonneau

Yes Importing takes the barcodes, but it has to be in tif format, 300 DPI yada yada yada...   Just stack the barcode on top, scan to the network, Import from network location and it attaches to the barcode location whether it be image inbox or directly to the client.  It works really well when scanning in bloated 200 page policies that won't fit in the canon scanner...
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.

GeorgeW

It works great! We have fewer errors than "acquiring". As Charlie said just put the bar codes in place and scan. You can do multiple bar codes in a batch. TAM will read them and assign to the client or the image inbox. However, as Charlie also stated, they have to be in TIF format.

We just use our Canon scanners which are already setup to scan as TIF files. Just mentioned the network copier/scanners because I have tested and it did work fine as long as I changed the output to TIF.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Jim Jensen

Good to know. If my next copier has faster capabilities I'll have to remember this. The current one scans slower than my Canon scanner. I only use it for large docs that I don't need to scan all at once (can let it scan, come back an hour later, add more pages, etc.). Otherwise it has been demoted from scanning duties.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Charlie Charbonneau

Downside is the lack of "skip blank pages" on the bigger copier/scanners, unless that's a feature now on the newer models.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.