Main Menu

Energy Consumption

Started by Mark, July 20, 2010, 11:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Since I am sitting at a Focus on Energy summit, I would like to pose this question to the group:

Has anyone measured (in any way, including a comparison of electric bill) energy savings experienced through replacing equipment with Energy Star equipment, virtualization, or centrally configuring power settings?

I am interested to hear about measurable impact of these.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Golas

The outlet strips I have in my racks measure current load, but I haven't done any actual math regarding replacing of stuff yet.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

insurebaltimore

I'm not a Global Warming Alarmist.... so no.  But low power consumption equals less heat output.  That, I have measured.

Dell servers using the tree hugger power supplies do, in fact, put out less heat.
Jason Gobbel
Microsoft Certified | Six Sigma - Lean/DFSS Certified

"I even put the router lower than the server so the bits gain speed going downhill!" - Rick

Mark

Quote from: insurebaltimore on July 20, 2010, 12:11:30 PM
I'm not a Global Warming Alarmist.... so no.  But low power consumption equals less heat output.  That, I have measured.

Dell servers using the tree hugger power supplies do, in fact, put out less heat.

I'm looking at it from more of a financial/cost point of view than a melting the icebergs point of view  :D 
Mark Piontek, MBA

Gene Foraker

I have a Kill a Watt energy meter at home.   Great for measuring and calculating energy usage.   It calculates the cost to run things averaged over time.

Look for it on Amazon.com
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Hans Manhave

Years ago I went through a CFL roll-out at home.  I have remained with that, but have no idea what I saved.  I did not notice a reduction in my electric bill.  I am happy with CFL bulbs, because they are cooler (temperature) in this hot climate, and I can get a lot more bright light per wattage.

I replaced our home refrigerator last year.  A 22 year old non-broken Fridgedaire, I think, for a modern side by side two door, Energy Star compliant, Samsung.  I don't believe I noticed a change in electric bill, but the contents of my fridge stay healthier much longer.

I have one of those Kill-A-Watt gadgets.  It hasn't helped me to safe anything. (wrote that while Gene was writing, still a cool gadget).  I have a ScanGaugeII in my vehicle.  Love statistics.

I turn off all the a/c units in this building every evening when I leave instead of letting them run at 82 or something.  I did not notice a reduction in the bill.

I can only conclude that the price of electric goes up and having those energy "saving" things helps my bill not go up so fast as it otherwise would.  Only replacing when things need replacing.  I have also concluded that higher energy efficient items are a lot more expensive and therefore do not "save" any actual dollars.  Instead, the funds go to the purchase of the item not to the monthly energy bill.  It is often easier to pay the monthly bill.  I conclude that also from seeing how many people are leasing instead of buying.

Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

insurebaltimore

Quote from: Mark on July 20, 2010, 12:13:47 PM
I'm looking at it from more of a financial/cost point of view than a melting the icebergs point of view  :D 

Our utilities are tied into the lease, so I do my best to use as much power as possible at all times.  :)
Jason Gobbel
Microsoft Certified | Six Sigma - Lean/DFSS Certified

"I even put the router lower than the server so the bits gain speed going downhill!" - Rick

Mark

Quote from: H_Manhave on July 20, 2010, 12:20:04 PM

I can only conclude that the price of electric goes up and having those energy "saving" things helps my bill not go up so fast as it otherwise would.  Only replacing when things need replacing.  I have also concluded that higher energy efficient items are a lot more expensive and therefore do not "save" any actual dollars.  Instead, the funds go to the purchase of the item not to the monthly energy bill.  It is often easier to pay the monthly bill.  I conclude that also from seeing how many people are leasing instead of buying.

They stated that the cost to upgrade to an 80+ Efficient power supply is $3-$5 additional cost, but can save around $153 over the course of 3 years.  I do know where you're coming from though.  Also, I missed the calculation for that as I wasn't paying enough attention to type fast enough.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

Quote from: Gene Foraker on July 20, 2010, 12:13:55 PM
I have a Kill a Watt energy meter at home.   Great for measuring and calculating energy usage.   It calculates the cost to run things averaged over time.

Look for it on Amazon.com

Radio Shack has these on clearance - I think there's new ones coming out. I also use one to figure out how many arcade games I can turn on at once in my rented garage :-)
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

DebAmstutz

I'm going to hoard the regular light bulbs as I hate the CFL bulbs (no offense, Hans!).  Have you heard what you're supposed to do if you break one of those due to the mercury in them?  I'd just rather clean up glass and metal from a regular bulb, myself.  I think regular bulbs can be improved without the addition of mercury.

I do agree with Hans as to replacing items when they're worn out.  My refrigerator died two years ago (it was 32 years old) and I've been using a dorm fridge ever since, and that's saved a lot, I'm sure.  I will be getting a new, energy efficient refrigerator when the new house is done.  The other appliances are also energy efficient.  I want to see if my son would like the big ol' chest freezer so I can get a new small one.
The new house will be larger but with all the improvements energy-wise it should not cost more in electric or gas bills than the old house did...maybe a little less!
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jim Jensen

New house, Deb? Moving off the homestead or replacing the old house with a new one on the same lot?
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

Since the barn is no longer there (got rid of that 2-3 years ago) a house is going up in its place because what else would I do with a 50x70 piece of concrete (which was the barnyard) but turn it into a patio/parking lot behind a new house?  I got a once-in-a-lifetime deal from All American Homes, and finances are finally in place to pay for a venture like this.  It's a factory-built structure, and I really like the style of it.  It was set on the basement foundation a month ago, and now the breezeway and garage are getting done, and the septic system is getting started.  I hope it can be liveable by Labor Day.
Deb Amstutz

brinkerdana

How cool, Deb!  I've been doing a lot of dreaming with certain pre-fab designers.  I lean towards the steel and glass stuff.  Now all I need to do is convince the hubby that we should bail out of California, buy a lot and put something factory built on it.
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jim Jensen

Deb, I guess since the kids moved out the obvious answer of "full court basketball court" no longer applies so strongly.

Dana - I have a client that passed away and they were selling their modular home in the woods near "scenic" parts of Indiana. It was the original type of modular - 10 sides, flooring system came in pie-shaped pre-fab pieces, then 10 wall sections to put up. Set on it a central pier with all of the utilities in it, then  piers around the perimeter at the connections between east section. Connected to another similar structure for the garage. Not sure if they ever sold it or not. We had it insured for several years.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

Jim, I'm thinking that a basketball goal on one end or the other of the "patio" is in the future since I have three grandsons....
Deb Amstutz