Questions on Server IDRAC cards

Started by Jeff Zylstra, November 17, 2016, 11:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

I have an IDRAC 6 Enterprise card in my server, and I'm wondering how I can use it for remote maintenance that can't be run via an RDP session.  Specifically, I would like to run a chkdsk on my server's hard drive over the weekend periodically, and I'm wondering if I can do that by accessing my computer remotely, and then browsing to the IDRAC and logging in.   

Or if I can't do it using the IDRAC card, is there another way I could to that?  I know that chkdsk has to run in safe mode in order to do any repairs, so I was wondering if I could set it up to run at the next reboot, and the  reboot the server with a shutdown /r command, have chkdsk run, and then somehow monitor it using the IDRAC, and then reboot into a regular windows session when it is done.   Probably a wacky plan, but I thought I'd ask.  Thanks in advance.

Hopefully this forum gets read at some point by someone with knowledge on the subject.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Joshua Conner

You should be able to do it via Idrac.   I have made bios changes that way and you can watch all of POST.   
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Mark

As long as it is an "Enterprise" iDRAC like you stated, you can get a virtual console so it is just like sitting in front of the computer and keyboard.  I'd try it while you are in the office first.  If you are going to remote into your workstation to do it and down the server, just make sure downing the server wont disconnect your session (DNS, DHCP).

The default login is root/calvin if you haev bot changed it.  Hopefully, you have changed it.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on November 17, 2016, 01:58:53 PM
As long as it is an "Enterprise" iDRAC like you stated, you can get a virtual console so it is just like sitting in front of the computer and keyboard.  I'd try it while you are in the office first.  If you are going to remote into your workstation to do it and down the server, just make sure downing the server wont disconnect your session (DNS, DHCP).

The default login is root/calvin if you haev bot changed it.  Hopefully, you have changed it.

Ah yes.  The virtual console.  I think I did see that in my travels through the menus.  And thanks for the password reminder.  That's one of the FIRST things I did.   Thanks gentlemen!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop