Using a Laptop as a Monitor

Started by Jeff Zylstra, October 05, 2016, 01:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

Occasionally I have to take a desktop machine home to work on it at night.  I would like to be able to plug my laptop into the video output of the desktop, and use it as a monitor rather than taking a monitor home.   I've always thought of laptop VGA ports as output only, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.   Is what I asked possible with additional, and if so, how?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Joshua Conner

I dont think it works that way. 

I would just remote into it you dont even need a monitor hooked up.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Joshua Conner on October 05, 2016, 01:24:35 PM
I dont think it works that way. 

I would just remote into it you dont even need a monitor hooked up.

Thanks, Josh.  I should have explained better.  The displays are black, and I am unable to RDP into the machine for some reason.  It displays the Dell "Loading BIOS" messages on screen, but otherwise the displays are black.  I don't even get a chance to go into safe mode.  I was hoping it was just a bad video card that I could check by removing and then connecting to the onboard VGA, but the more I think about it, the more I hear taps playing softly in the background.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on October 05, 2016, 01:30:06 PM
Thanks, Josh.  I should have explained better.  The displays are black, and I am unable to RDP into the machine for some reason.  It displays the Dell "Loading BIOS" messages on screen, but otherwise the displays are black.  I don't even get a chance to go into safe mode.  I was hoping it was just a bad video card that I could check by removing and then connecting to the onboard VGA, but the more I think about it, the more I hear taps playing softly in the background.

Is there a blinking cursor in the top left corner?  Did this happen after an update, possibly?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on October 05, 2016, 01:40:11 PM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on October 05, 2016, 01:30:06 PM

Is there a blinking cursor in the top left corner?  Did this happen after an update, possibly?

Yes, it is possible Windows updates could have done this, but I can be certain.  And I don't remember if there was a cursor on the monitors or not.

Mark

You could try running startup repair.  That worked for me just last week on a machine that was force rebooted when an update was stuck in the "do not shut down your computer" state.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Golas

Sounds like a corrupted bios - try going into the bios and loading defaults. Worst case scenerio depending on what model it is, some allow you to put a usb key with a specific bios file name into a slot, then do some function to auto-flash the bios if it comes to that.

Regarding laptop as monitor - NO NO NO. In fact even the built-in monitors on most laptops are likely connected via digital means like HDMI or displayport. Other than projectors and those actual VGA ports, nothing really uses analog connections anymore. I see how you're thinkin but it doesn't work that way.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com