Main Menu

Ricoh Aficio Sp C231N

Started by Mark, June 29, 2010, 09:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Anyone know how to get into the service menu for a Ricoh Aficio Sp C231N?

We had a power outage last week and this thing is not displaying a service code of "SC 542".  All I can find via Google is what it likely is and have read that this is commonly caused by brown outs -- which we had shortly before the power outage.  It could also be the fuser, a thermostat (or thermoster?), or a lamp.  I'd just like to get into the service menu and try to reset the thing before calling for service though.

I have tried all the key combinations I could come up with, holding two buttons down during power on, etc with no joy.  At power on, it goes through its POST and then just blinks the error code and says to call for service.  Where is the damn reset?? ???
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on June 29, 2010, 09:34:06 AM
Where is the damn reset?? ???

Silly question I know, but have you unplugged it yet?   Amnesia is sometimes a good thing for electronic devices.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Well, it happened during a power outage, but no, I have not unplugged it yet I don't think.  I will flip the surge protector and let it chill for a bit and try again.  I have found the directions to reset the error message via a service menu, but the directions are for other Ricoh models and I don't have the same buttons on this one as described in the directions.  I have tried endless button combination to get into a service menu, and am ready to kick this thing.

I've learned through this experience that many Ricoh products have issues after brownouts or power outages.  We have power issues here somewhat often.  You can bet I'll never purchase a Ricoh anything ever again because of that.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Hans Manhave

But the only other option is Canon.

I have those thoughts too when our Ricohs go funny, but cannot make myself buy a Canon next time we need a machine.

Often the technician will give this kind of info over the phone just so they don't have to make a trip.  They should be comfortable with you having that code.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

I always buy HP printers.  They have always treated us well.  This one was a discount purchase I presume as I did not make it.
Mark Piontek, MBA