Damaged Header Again This Month

Started by Toni Forte, July 18, 2016, 10:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toni Forte

For the second month in a row we have had NU failures, with Packing, that cause header damage in TFILE.  We run this schedule weekly usually with no problems.  Both times I have called support to run the Fix Header Utility and fix it (first tech used the DOS utility that called for the "Code of the Day", that brought back memories).  Not sure what is going on, in my almost 18 years this is like the 4th time ever we have had header damage, the other two times were probably 15 years ago. 

In June they told us to look for errors in the TAM Log that happened in the Activity database, there haven't been many and users report or we find the lock when doing closeday or NU.  Today they said the workstation running NU had disconnected from the network, I would buy that but it didn't really miss a beat as DB Maint failed but it went right on to run Validate Client Balances the next minute after the failure.

We are asking users to make sure they are reporting all the errors they see but to be truthful I don''t think that is the issue. If you have an issue in TAM it usually has to be addressed before trying to run Closeday or it's found in NU.

Just strange to start seeing this all of a sudden.
Toni Forte
Systems Administrator
Cline Wood, a Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC company
Sagitta/ImageRight, CSR24, Server 2008 R2, 2012, VMware, ESXi
Former TAM2014MU1, eTfile 4.8

Jeff Zylstra

Hi Toni,

I have been seeing some loss of communications to the DNS server from workstations, that could cause significant issues like the one(s) you are seeing.  Check for Event ID 1014.  Apparently it is a bug in Windows 7 and Server 2008.   I have a few workstations that were showing this.  I thought is was because of the power saving settings, so I disabled power saving and also made the changes shown here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3336.event-id-1014-microsoft-windows-dns-client.aspx

Make sure to check the Event Viewer - System for both the workstation that runs the night utilities, and also the server.  I would check the entire day leading up to the running of the utilities.  When I have a DNS error like mentioned above, the workstation won't complain for several hours, then will just freeze up.

P.S.   Also, I would run the TamStart utilities to make sure everything is in balance and everything,                       and then also run a reindex if you haven't done that.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Toni Forte

Thanks Jeff, I will take a look at this.
Toni Forte
Systems Administrator
Cline Wood, a Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC company
Sagitta/ImageRight, CSR24, Server 2008 R2, 2012, VMware, ESXi
Former TAM2014MU1, eTfile 4.8