"Specified network name is no longer available"

Started by Jan Regnier, June 28, 2016, 11:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Regnier

Since upgrading our Fileserver and software (MS 2015 R2) we get "Specified network name is no longer available" error occasionally - happens to all workstations - not specific to one unit.  We have the "hub" from years ago...am wondering if I need to upgrade this piece of equipment to eliminate this issue?
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jeff Zylstra

Doubtful on the "hub" issue.  I think what is happening is that the name of your server is different than the old server, and that some or all of the workstations have old mappings for mapped drives that point to the old server's name.  An example would be \\Server08\3rdparty maps to F: drive, when the NEW server is \\Server15\3rdparty.   You go into explorer and "disconnect" mapped drives and remap them.  I think CCleaner might do it as well.  Just make sure none of the new mappings point to the old server.   

To check mappings, go to Windows Explorer and hit ALT-T and go down to Disconnet Network Drive.  That will show all mappings.  Just disconnect any old mappings.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

Jeff - they named the server exactly as it was ...so there weren't supposed to be any issues!

There was one drive that was not mapped but was last server...so I am going to map it and see if that makes a difference.
Jan Regnier

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jan Regnier on June 28, 2016, 01:22:20 PM
Jeff - they named the server exactly as it was ...so there weren't supposed to be any issues!

There was one drive that was not mapped but was last server...so I am going to map it and see if that makes a difference.

It still sounds like some kind of DNS issue, where the names of computers are not being correctly converted to numerical IP addresses.   Since the Machine Addressable Component (MAC) address of the new server's network card is different than the old one, that could cause some old setting to have an issue.  You may want to do an "IPConfig /FlushDNS" followed by an "IPConfig /registerDNS" at elevated privilege command prompts on the workstations and the server too.   

I would also run the CCLeaner and clean out the System - DNS cache (this may be the same as above), and the Advanced -  Environment path.  It may be that someone browsed to a file share on the old server, and that setting is still out there and looking to connect in Windows Explorer.   
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Golas

Is thats *seriously* a "hub" as in a real, live actual "hub"...thats gotta GO! If it's a "switch"...different story ;-)

Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Jeff Golas on June 28, 2016, 05:23:39 PM
Is thats *seriously* a "hub" as in a real, live actual "hub"...thats gotta GO! If it's a "switch"...different story ;-)

It says "Fast Ethernet Switch"....  Hey :-[, what do I know???
Jan Regnier

Mark

Quote from: Jan Regnier on June 28, 2016, 05:26:28 PM

Whew!  :)

The way a hub works is like walking into a crowded room where everyone is shouting at each other from across the room trying to have a conversation.  The way a switch works is like sitting on your couch and calling your friend on the phone and chatting away without disruption  8)

2 cans and a string is almost better than a hub  ;D
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on June 29, 2016, 08:53:21 AM

The way a hub works is like walking into a crowded room where everyone is shouting at each other from across the room trying to have a conversation.  The way a switch works is like sitting on your couch and calling your friend on the phone and chatting away without disruption  8)

So you're saying that a hub is like slam dancing your way across a mosh pit?   ;)

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Mark on June 29, 2016, 08:53:21 AM

OK, then... at least I have that going for me!  Thanks!!! 
Jan Regnier