Dual Monitors/Widescreens in 2016

Started by Jeff Golas, February 09, 2016, 02:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Golas

So what's the consensus on wide screens in 2016? I need to order some monitors, and I STILL buy the 4:3 ones as they fit the desks well, but wondering if maybe I should start deploying more wides.

I did breifly, and the people that got them love them, but whenever I sit down at them I feel like I have to look 4 feet back and forth, as well as the monitor arms we use just aren't designed for them - they work but barely.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

I order 5:4 ratio and don't really want wide screen in the office since that requires a lot of scrolling and oftentimes wasted screen space depending on what you're looking at.  some people would probably like widescreen for spreadsheets, maybe some websites, etc. but for the most part 5:4 is preferred.  I think some of my people who might want the wide for spreadsheets would still rather 5:4 for everything else.

One thing that might be worth testing is the widescreen that can rotate so you CAN see a whole sheet of paper at a readable zoom level.  To me, still wouldn't be worth it.

I haven't gotten a 4:3 in a long time, but 5:4 is basically the same thing.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Bob

Mark you're missing out.  I would NEVER go back to 5:4 square displays. 

We use dual 22" displays and use every inch of screen with proper display adjustment.  Staff loves that compared to 5:4 display, they can increase the view to 125% and not have to scroll.  Easier on their eyes and more desktop space to work.

Mark

Quote from: Bob on February 09, 2016, 04:40:01 PM

We use dual 22" displays and use every inch of screen with proper display adjustment.  Staff loves that compared to 5:4 display, they can increase the view to 125% and not have to scroll.  Easier on their eyes and more desktop space to work.

Interesting.  So, when looking at a scanned sheet of paper, you can see the whole sheet, or majority of it without scrolling?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Coral

We have 3 screens at every station. I don't know how I would do that with wide screens.
Coral Benton
Epic Online

Joshua Conner

We use wide screens on dual monitor mounts. 

I never hear anyone complain.  I order 22 - 23 in depending on whats a deal.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Jeff Golas

What makes/models of monitors are you guys and gals getting? We're moving to be a mostly Lenovo shop at this point.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Bob

Quote from: Mark on February 09, 2016, 04:43:04 PM

Interesting.  So, when looking at a scanned sheet of paper, you can see the whole sheet, or majority of it without scrolling?

Depends on user preference and view %.  Landscape yes for sure, portrait may have a little as would I on a 5:4 very little difference.   Can't justify not.

Ric

been using dual 22s for several years. there's a bit of scrolling but worth it.

I've thought about getting a 3rd and turning it portrait for documents but have not pulled the trigger.

We use Acer mostly
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Steven Strauss

Every staff member has three 19" 4:3 monitors on their desk. Each executive has two 22" 16:9 monitors and a TV on the wall (most of them are 40") that doubles as a third monitor (which most people rarely use). There is a fierce (but good natured) "disagreement" between the two groups as to which setup is better.
Steven Strauss - CFO
NIP Group, Inc.  Woodbridge, NJ
Epic 2022 R2
CSR24, Salesforce, Cognos Finance, TM1

Bob

Like someone stuck on an old version of Windows, doesn't want change.  Those are the two schools and always will be.  Once used everyone here happy.  At first they struggled with finding resolution used entire space and was good on the eyes.  Eventually they all did. 

I need to clarify too when I said nice for some staff because they can increase view 125%, that would be your browser.  Not TAM.  We don't use TAM anymore.  Browser makes good use of screens these days my browser is my management system.  Nothing wasted.  In fact here is a screen shot of this very post on my 22" WS.  The only scrolling is down which is same on 4:3 whatever.  Notice forum fills in from side to side nicely.   Splitting hairs on how much scrolling down as if any work or effort required.  ;)

Billy Welsh

"Executives" is a fluid term from company to company, so it depends on what they do day to day as to what is ideal, IMHO. 

We have a few here with a similar setup to your Execs.  For some, it is helpful when they are wanting to show something to someone else - flip it to the big screen on the wall, and the other person can stay in his seat to see instead of having to go around behind the desk and look over a shoulder.  For others, it is just a really big workspace - one or two have it as the center of a triple setup instead of exiling to a separate wall.  Still makes it easier to show something to another person.

For me, I would have a hard time using the wall mount day-to-day (unless I was showing something to someone), so I can understand that some of them don't get much use.  As it is I don't really care for unmatched displays, though I am sure over time I could adjust to a larger primary as long as it was arrayed with the other 2 in front of me.

Quote from: Steven Strauss on February 11, 2016, 05:41:33 PM
Every staff member has three 19" 4:3 monitors on their desk. Each executive has two 22" 16:9 monitors and a TV on the wall (most of them are 40") that doubles as a third monitor (which most people rarely use). There is a fierce (but good natured) "disagreement" between the two groups as to which setup is better.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Terry Evans

Looks like I'm a little late to the Party (discussion), but just now reviewing options for some monitor replacement.  It looks like a lot of people are going with the widescreen 22" monitors.  I'm just looking at the overall width and with 2 @ 19" 5:4's, I'm at about 32" across.  With the 22" monitors I would be at about 40" across (+25%).  Not having previously gone with widescreens, they just look obnoxiously large to me. 

If I'm going to go big or go home, what about a 32" TV Monitor with split screen?  I saw one at a clients office a couple weeks ago and it looked pretty good. 

I guess I'm just going to have to try a couple options at my desk and then implement to the rest of the work stations as necessary.  I've got a remote employee having some sight issues and I want to get her the best options without it being overwhelming.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

DebAmstutz

It may depend upon what resolution works for the person.  It's always good to be able to see everything one needs to see on a screen without scrolling.  Personally, I'd rather have two physically separate screens than one big one with two displays.  I have only one screen now that is not big and doesn't have two displays because there just is not room for 2 monitors on my desk.  There are times a 2nd monitor would be handy, but being without the 2nd one is not that bad for me.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Sherry Burrell

I have 2 - 22 in widescreens and one 17" turned portrait.  I have Epic open on one - no scrolling and I open two programs on the 2nd/splitting it about 2/3.  Then good ole Paperport on the portrait.
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic 2022 Online w/CSR24, 6 users