Turning on Windows Fire Wall

Started by Alice, June 14, 2010, 08:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

We've just been informed that in order to comply with PC and server security, we will be required to turn on the Windows firewall on all PC's and servers. When we had Office 2000 and 2003, there was a problem with Outlook where items would site in the Outbox until we clicked on the Outbox, then away they would go. We determined having the firewall on was the cause, so we turned them all off. I know from previous group postings, others also experienced this problem and was resolved the same way.
Now for my questions...
Has anyone experienced this with Office 2007?
Does anyone have the Windows firewall turned on?
Of those that do, were there any problems that needed fixing in regards to company web sites, Tam integration or downloads?
Anything else happen we need to be aware of?

Would just like to know what to be on the lookout for.

Alice

Just want to mention that I wasn't sure if I should put this in a Microsoft group, or which one.  Mod -please move if you think you should.

Bloody Jack Kidd

I don't necessarily like Windows firewall - and usually disable it because it does seem to often interfere with things, but I don't wholly disagree with the reasoning behind wanting a firewall enabled on the hosts, esp. Microsoft hosts.

Can't say we've ever experience an Outlook issue that we've been able to attribute to Window firewall.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

insurebaltimore

All of our PC's have the firewall running and we've never had an issue like you're describing.  There is, however, a delay in receiving emails when the firewall is turned on.

You can always add an Exception for Outlook for your specific IP range.
Jason Gobbel
Microsoft Certified | Six Sigma - Lean/DFSS Certified

"I even put the router lower than the server so the bits gain speed going downhill!" - Rick

Alice

Quote from: insurebaltimore on June 15, 2010, 10:09:59 AM
You can always add an Exception for Outlook for your specific IP range.

I did't know that exceptions could be added.  I'll have to check that out.
Have a lot to learn about this still.
Thanks!  ;)