Main Menu

Surface Pro 4

Started by Kenny Cruzan, September 25, 2015, 11:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Cruzan

Rumors flying that Surface Pro 4 will be unveiled October 6th.  I can't wait because I have SP2 and love it.  I have been holding out over a year from getting SP3 just waiting for SP4.

12" or 14" model.  Slimmer than the SP3, i7 processor, 4gb ram, fingerprint scanner, faster SSDs, windows 10 just to name a few updates.
Kenny Cruzan
GSM Insurors
Rockport, TX
TAM 2013, Fax @vantage 9
Windows 2008 server, ATS Backup
eTFile 4.6.1.0, Citrix XenDesktop,
Citrix XenApp7.6
80 users, 100 employees, 15 offices
Dell R710's with XenServer

Ric

sounds awesome Kenny!

I have had a SP3 for over a year and love it.  I've read some comparisons between the SP2 and SP3 referring to the former as a "toy" in comparison to the latter.

sounds like the SP4 is another step forward.
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Billy Welsh

Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Ric

Quote from: Billy Welsh on October 06, 2015, 05:37:41 PM
A positive review on the Surface Book in the WSJ today.

http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technology/2015/10/06/microsoft-surface-book-first-look-finally-a-laptop/

Great to see M$ continuing to improve the Surface.  I'm going to run my SP3 as long and hard as I can and will see what's out there in 3 or 4 years.

Of course the wife will need a new machine in the next year or two...
hmmm, wonder if she would consider a 'slightly' used SP3???

;)
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Kenny Cruzan

It was announced yesterday and preorder starts today for Surface Pro 4.  It looks to be awesome.  There was something that was not expected at the MS press release.  A new Surface Book laptop that claims to be the most powerful laptop available and it does have detachable screen.  Very cool but expensive.

The other thing that I thought was interesting is the new Lumia 950 XL phone.  I will admit I am an IPhone user but still have one issue that does not work with IOS and that is my kaseya management tools to remote into computers/servers.  The vendor still has not made any app to do so.  I know LMI has IOS app but not kaseya .....  I do find the Lumia with windows 10 on it something I could for sure use.  They even have a doc for it so you can plug in keyboard, mouse and monitor and actually use the phone as a computer.  They showed a demo and were actually using PowerPoint, word and outlook on a big projector off the phone.  It seemed to run just fine so it must be powerful. 

Decisions, decisions......should I change phones???
Kenny Cruzan
GSM Insurors
Rockport, TX
TAM 2013, Fax @vantage 9
Citrix XenApp7.6

Bob

I'm contemplating same thing Kenny.   Seriously considering SP4 and to maybe windows phone.   Been using Apple too long and think Windows devices are far more productive.   I'm thinking by Thanksgiving I'll pick up SP4.  If you do before then, I'd love to hear your own opinion vs. bloggers.  I know the earliest available is end of month.

Kenny Cruzan

I preordered SP4 yesterday and it said shipment date of Oct 28th which I was bummed because I wanted it before conference.  However, I just got shipment confirmation that says it will be here 3-5 days.....Go figure!!!!!!!
Kenny Cruzan
GSM Insurors
Rockport, TX
TAM 2013, Fax @vantage 9
Citrix XenApp7.6

Ric

Quote from: Kenny Cruzan on October 07, 2015, 06:19:28 PM
I preordered SP4 yesterday and it said shipment date of Oct 28th which I was bummed because I wanted it before conference.  However, I just got shipment confirmation that says it will be here 3-5 days.....Go figure!!!!!!!

pretty sweet Kenny!

please let us know how it goes with the SP4.

I had my SP3 for a few weeks before Applied Net last year and it was super helpful.  especially using my phone as a hotspot because I seem to recall the WAP getting overwhelmed at times.
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Kenny Cruzan

I spoke too soon.  It appears just one item in the order was shipped and not the SP4.  I guess I can play with the biometric keyboard and pretend it is doing something  ;D
Kenny Cruzan
GSM Insurors
Rockport, TX
TAM 2013, Fax @vantage 9
Citrix XenApp7.6

Ric

Quote from: Kenny Cruzan on October 08, 2015, 04:41:37 PM
I spoke too soon.  It appears just one item in the order was shipped and not the SP4.  I guess I can play with the biometric keyboard and pretend it is doing something  ;D

:(
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Jeff Golas

Take it to the conference and sit there typing on it. See if anyone notices.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Jeff Golas on October 12, 2015, 02:17:55 PM

Take it to the conference and sit there typing on it. See if anyone notices.

Taking notes directly to the cloud.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Bob

Any updates?   I was about to pull trigger on Amazon but after reading reviews not so sure.   A lot of complaints about crashing, lots of bugs.   I don't know if incompetent buyer posting but too many of same issues reported.   Crashing, blue screens, stylus not working, system not waking and more per online reviews.

Wondering what any AU members have experienced or heard.

Plus I notice they give 30 day trial Office 365.   Then I imagine they want monthly subscription.   Ironic you can get iPad and download office for Free but with Surface you have to pay for privilege?

Also wonder if anyone has iPad Pro yet?  Comments?

Debbie Fuson

Yep, once your 30-day trial is up, MS will want you to pay a subscription fee.   

I'm kind of surprised MS doesn't include at least a year since many other devices come with a year.  I bought an HP Steam 8" Windows 8.1 tablet earlier in the year for about $80, and it included a year of Office for free, which is $69 by itself.  AND...I bought the tablet from Microsoft's website, so that makes it even weirder.  (BTW -That little HP tablet updated to Windows 10 with no problem.)

The iPad version of Office is free to download, but it's more of a viewer with some limited editing features.  For instance, I don't think you can create a new document unless you buy a license.

No iPad Pro for me yet.   
Debbie Fuson
Brown & Brown of Tennessee
Vision 6.4 and Inscope

Gene Foraker

I just picked up a Surface Book this weekend.   

So far it seems great.   I'm still getting used to Win 10. 
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.