HP1100A printer/copier not printing

Started by DebAmstutz, August 26, 2015, 11:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Foraker

I still have an 1100A at my desk.  It works great and prints checks in the proper order.   My current page count is only 52409. 
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

DebAmstutz

The HP 1100A printer at the receptionist's desk has a new problem:

The printer is showing offline in the morning after the workstation has been turned off at night.

If it's put back online, it will print after about 5 minutes or so.

I asked the IT guy why and he says it's because the workstation is 10 years old and running XP.  I do not believe that reason because my workstation is older than that one, is running XP, and my HP1100A printer does not go offline after I turn off my computer.  Granted, I don't leave it off all night because it's running NU, but I do occasionally turn it off during my lunch hour just to clean it out at times.  I've never had my printer go offline.

My theory on the receptionist's printer is that it's going offline because there are 2 network ID's and passwords for that particular workstation.  The printer never went offline before that workstation was given the 2nd network ID/password.

Is there any chance my theory is correct?
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Mark

Quote from: DebAmstutz on August 31, 2015, 09:27:22 AM

We have nearly 10 people that logon and off at the front desk with their own credentials and do not have a problem.  I would suggest that your IT's answer is questionable since it's a 10 year old computer, running an old OS, and and old printer.  Seems like it should be right at home and working perfectly (even though I suggested replacing it).
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

DebAmstutz

Do you have roaming profiles, Mark?  We do not. 
Deb Amstutz

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA

Jim Jensen

I asked the IT guy why and he says it's because the workstation is 10 years old and running XP.

Whatever the reason for it going offline, I think he's trying to say how he feels about dealing with it  ;D

BTW, you guys should look ahead and plan accordingly - I can verify that Tam 2015 will NOT work on XP stations. It will not run the  asclient.exe update process to run TAM. I forgot I hadn't moved the new computer to the scanning station and the one still there has XP. Oops.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jim Jensen on August 31, 2015, 10:54:42 AM
I asked the IT guy why and he says it's because the workstation is 10 years old and running XP.

Whatever the reason for it going offline, I think he's trying to say how he feels about dealing with it  ;D

BTW, you guys should look ahead and plan accordingly - I can verify that Tam 2015 will NOT work on XP stations. It will not run the  asclient.exe update process to run TAM. I forgot I hadn't moved the new computer to the scanning station and the one still there has XP. Oops.

But does ASClient really need to be run, or is this just a slick way of calling ASUpdate /rr (probably old, but just for illustration)?  If Wintam.exe runs after the AsUpdate equivalent is run, does it matter?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on August 31, 2015, 11:06:23 AM
Quote from: Jim Jensen on August 31, 2015, 10:54:42 AM

But does ASClient really need to be run, or is this just a slick way of calling ASUpdate /rr (probably old, but just for illustration)?  If Wintam.exe runs after the AsUpdate equivalent is run, does it matter?

Running either wintam.exe or wintam.exe /rr yields the same response - local controls do not match, run tamclient.exe to fix.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

So, if we do not have roaming profiles, then two profiles on one workstation could possibly be the problem with the printer?  Since everything was okay before the additional profile going onto the workstation, I would think that it would have to be a rare coincidence of some kind that the printer stopped working normally.

I know that we can't upgrade to TAM2015 due to a few workstations still running XP (mine included).  I don't know why a gradual upgrading of workstations hasn't been done.  Funny thing is today the retired owner got a new workstation that is at least Windows 7.
Deb Amstutz

Mark

I'm not sure how or where profiles would be the culprit here.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

The HP 1100A printer at the receptionist's desk has a new problem:

The printer is showing offline in the morning after the workstation has been turned off at night.

If it's put back online, it will print after about 5 minutes or so.

I asked the IT guy why and he says it's because the workstation is 10 years old and running XP.  I do not believe that reason because my workstation is older than that one, is running XP, and my HP1100A printer does not go offline after I turn off my computer.  Granted, I don't leave it off all night because it's running NU, but I do occasionally turn it off during my lunch hour just to clean it out at times.  I've never had my printer go offline.

My theory on the receptionist's printer is that it's going offline because there are 2 network ID's and passwords for that particular workstation.  The printer never went offline before that workstation was given the 2nd network ID/password.

Is this printer shared, or otherwise connected to another computer in any way?  It almost sounds like it is a network connectivity issue, and who knows what could be causing that.  I will go back to my standard advice for unexplained phenomena - Update the BIOS, network card and if you're really superstitions, throw in the video drivers too!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bob

There is an issue with sharing a printer off an XP computer with Windows 7 computers not seeing it.

DebAmstutz

Deb Amstutz

Bob

So this is a local printer used and attached to the workstation.   You're saying one user can see and use printer but if another logs in on same computer, it can't see the printer.   Usually printers are available for all users but why not try and install the local printer on the user who can't see it.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: DebAmstutz on August 31, 2015, 02:54:32 PM
But...this printer is not shared.

OK.  Then does unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable help at all?  I'm wondering then if it is an issue where something goes to sleep and just doesn't wake up when it gets a signal.  It may also be as simple as a bad cable.  If you've got a spare cable, give that a try.