How to Handle Name Changes

Started by Jeff Zylstra, May 11, 2015, 10:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

Out of curiosity, what is the best way to handle name changes of employees?  A few questions....

• Do you handle marriage and divorce in the same fashion or differently? 
  • Do I need to send a letter out to all of a CSR's customers for this, or should we just put a P.S. on letters letting people know? 
  • Should I just change the email address, and then add an alias using the old last name with an auto-reply notifying them of the new last name if they sent it to the old last name?
Just wondering how everyone else does this.  Thanks in advance.

"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Coral

1. Marriage and divorce handled the same
2. no - I would do neither. Announcing either is just awkward. I did have one user who put a note under her signature in email that read "formerly Jane Doe". That is the only one we have ever done this way.
3. yes, that is exactly how I have handled it.
Coral Benton
Epic Online

Hans Manhave

1. yes, 2. no, 3. yes, but no auto reply. Just the alias.  Just did one of those last week.   In case a user leaves our employ, the alias is added to a manager.  Eventually removed (about two years or more in practice as there is no rush to do the removal of the alias).  At that point I have added a reply, but operating a closed domain, after that much time has expired, I don't feel an auto-reply is necessary.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Zylstra

OK.  Something else just came to mind.  Do you run the CSR workload reassignment utility then to change the old codes to her new name, or just using the same 2 digit CSR, Who, and employee codes and just change her name?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

DebAmstutz

We kept all the codes the same and just changed the name associated with the code.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Hans Manhave

Quote from: DebAmstutz on May 11, 2015, 01:26:22 PM
We kept all the codes the same and just changed the name associated with the code.

Same here.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Toni Forte

Quote from: DebAmstutz on May 11, 2015, 01:26:22 PM

We do the same thing at our agency.
Toni Forte
Systems Administrator
Cline Wood, a Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC company
Sagitta/ImageRight, CSR24, Server 2008 R2, 2012, VMware, ESXi
Former TAM2014MU1, eTfile 4.8