Updating BIOS on Dell Perc 6/i Integrated RAID controller

Started by Jeff Zylstra, April 27, 2015, 12:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

I am getting the following message on my Dell R710 server with Perc 6/i RAID controller:

I copied this from the Dell OpenManage Software....

The current firmware version  6.2.0-0013 is older than the required firmware version 6.3.0-0001 for a controller of model 0x1F0C: Controller 0 (PERC 6/i Integrated)

I am wondering if anyone has done this particular update already, and what it is like.  Specifically, I'm wondering how you booted the system to do it, if it was non-destructive, and if I should update my system BIOS before or afterwards?  And maybe what kind of time commitment I'm looking at.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Golas

Thats a PERC update for the scsi/raid controller. I've done many in the past with no problems, but I HIGHLY recommend doing a full backup of whatever's on that disk first...especially having dealt with a corrupted array a couple months ago (diff issue).
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jeff Golas on April 27, 2015, 12:57:52 PM
Thats a PERC update for the scsi/raid controller. I've done many in the past with no problems, but I HIGHLY recommend doing a full backup of whatever's on that disk first...especially having dealt with a corrupted array a couple months ago (diff issue).

Oh yes.  I'm planning on doing it over a weekend, when I'll have time to deal with issue but not the technical backup.  How about doing the BIOS upgrade.  Is there anything there that might brick my system?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Golas

I think on a 710, the bios has 2 copies that even if it fails, it switches back to the previous one. I never had issues doing bios updates.

Make sure you get all the other firmwares too, like the backplane, and DRAC if you have that (you can do the DRAC anytime, even while its online).
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jeff Golas on April 27, 2015, 04:31:01 PM
I think on a 710, the bios has 2 copies that even if it fails, it switches back to the previous one. I never had issues doing bios updates.

Make sure you get all the other firmwares too, like the backplane, and DRAC if you have that (you can do the DRAC anytime, even while its online).

Excellent.  Good to know.  I always worry that some of these things may be inter-dependent and one thing will cause problems elsewhere.  Good to know that's not the case.  Thanks, Jeff.