VMware backup suggestions

Started by KenH, April 24, 2015, 12:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenH

I have my first VMware server  running Server 2012 R2, and am wondering what others are doing for backup.  I would like to use rotating external USB drive to store the backup. This would allow me to swap drives each day and always have the previous day's off site each evening. My previous routine used NTbackup on server 2003. I backed up the data drive each day. I scheduled the routine to run each day of the week. the drives were rotated on an odd/even day of the week schedule. Therefore the WED backup that was saved on the ODD drive on the first would be overwritten on WED the 15th. Each drive would have 7 days of backup files going back 2 weeks.

I was hoping to use a similar scheme with the virtual server but backing up the entire virtual server including the data. I have been trying to setup Veeam, but I am having problems getting this to work the way I described.  any suggestions for other solutions, or is what I am planning the wrong approach?

Ken Hughes
Kramer Myers Insurance
John 'Ken' Hughes

Mark

I like to do both types of backups in my virtual environment - backup the data as you did before, and also backup the VM.  I'd rather restore a small amount of data than an entire VM when someone deletes something by accident, but I also want to be able to restore a full VM when that situation arises as well.

I use GhettoVCB for my VM backups.  It's a bit techy, and I'm a geek, but it's free.  Problem with that is you can't copy directly to a USB.  I backup to a network attached storage.

Ideally, you'd want to backup to a network attached storage that has removable drives to take off-site.  Or, a network attached storage that copies to a USB drive, etc.

Currently, my VM backups don't make it off-site.  Just the data backups - and I'm OK with that.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Hans Manhave

In case this helps, I need to resolve the VMware backup still, but I use FolderclonePro for the backup to removable drive of the data files.  I use a workstation to perform the backup.  It has worked well so far.  Feel free to critique and offer other solutions.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Charlie Charbonneau

I haven't quite figured out my backups yet either.  Currently I'm using Windows Backup on each VM to create backup to a share on the Host.  Then later in the night the host is using Windows Backup to backup up the share to a removable encrypted drive that I rotate out of the office.  I rely more on ShadowCopies for restoring the random lost files.

At first Altaro Backup was recommended as they have free backup for life up to 2 VM's.  It seemed rather spotty and I'm outgrowing the 2 VM plan thanks to 2012.  I've found where SBS08 played well with everything in-box, 2012 is a beast that doesn't even play well with itself.

Might have to check out the GhettoVCB.  Is it exchange aware?
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Joshua Conner

I use VEEAM they also have a free endpoint backup that you could use which does support USB
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Jeff Golas

^^ I was going to suggest this - I haven't used it yet myself (in production) but played with it even a couple years ago and it was a cool product even then.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Unitrends gives you I think 5 free VM backups.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

KenH

I want to thank everyone for all the helpful suggestions. I am currently still working with Veeam, backup and replication, using the trial license. I did finally (I think) get it configured to allow the swapping of drives. The secret was configuring a Rotating "repository". Just setting up rotating drives failed when they started to repeat the schedule, and therefore tried to overwrite the previous version.

I have had no success in contacting the company for support, this has been disheartening, since some reviews claimed very good customer support. There is a "free mode" for this program, but I don't know if that supports my desired configuration. I doubt it will, but it woud be nice to actually know. The Endpoint program backs up files on the installed machine, but not VM images.

Thanks again for all the input!
John 'Ken' Hughes

Joshua Conner

Veeam support is very good I have used it many times.  But I believe its only for paying customers.  I think they push you to the forums or email for support. Your mileage may very with the assistance you receive from either of those routes.

They have always gotten someone on the phone quickly and fixed my problem in one phone call. 
I backup 5 VMS locally then transport those offsite nightly via WAN to a remote repository all using Veeam.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

KenH

Thanks for the feedback. I was using the 30 day evaluation license, and would have expected the company to provide good service to convince the potential customers to purchase. I did reach out to the sales department and a very apologetic sales person has arranged a tech call for me this Wed. I do like what I have seen in my trial, but need confidence in the support before proceeding.  Once again, thanks for the helpful suggestions and support.
John 'Ken' Hughes