Do wireless mice wear out?

Started by DebAmstutz, April 20, 2015, 09:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebAmstutz

I don't remember when I acquired my wireless mouse (Microsoft Mobile Mouse 3500), but it's acting a bit wonky once in awhile and I am wondering if it's wearing out somehow.  I replaced the battery and have taken the USB piece out of the port on the computer and put it back in and it's still acting up, but not all the time.  My hands do not shake but when the mouse is the lone cursor on a screen, it will "jump" slightly and I'll need to reposition it to click on what I want.  Is this kind of behavior what happens when one of these wears out?  It's not fun when I'm trying to click on lines when reconciling and it jumps to a line above or below the one I want.

Should I be looking for a new mouse?
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jan Regnier

Yes they do. I have replaced 2 - one just last week and one a few months ago.  I just picked up a couple this weekend to have on hand when the next one dies.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jim Jensen

The short answer is, yes they do. Try it on a different computer to see if does the same there. Could be radio interference too. Anything new on or around or moved on your desk?
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Joshua Conner

I am sure you have checked this but really blow out the bottom sometimes they will get dust and dirt buildup where the laser is and make it wonky.  They have a mirror in there too which is nearly impossible to clean but sometimes a Qtip does wonders.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

DebAmstutz

Thanks for all the info.

I will try dusting it out.  I've never noticed dust/dirt when changing batteries but that doesn't mean there's not some in there!

The top of my desk doesn't change except for the height of the stacks of paper, but I don't believe that affects the mouse as I always have stacks of paper and this wonkiness began last week.

Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: DebAmstutz on April 20, 2015, 10:24:07 AM
Thanks for all the info.

I will try dusting it out.  I've never noticed dust/dirt when changing batteries but that doesn't mean there's not some in there!

The top of my desk doesn't change except for the height of the stacks of paper, but I don't believe that affects the mouse as I always have stacks of paper and this wonkiness began last week.

Sounds like you're already aware of the batteries, which is probably the biggest reason that they act wonky.  Put in fresh batteries and 9 out of 10 times that cures things, but like regular mice they only last so long.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

There could be a real bug in the mouse.   ;D
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jim Jensen

Quote from: DebAmstutz on April 20, 2015, 10:24:07 AM

As long as it's not e-paper stacking up.  :P
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis