question about updating

Started by Lynne Desrochers, March 17, 2015, 04:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

We are finally updating applied this weekend. I'm dealing with a new IT firm and normally I just reset everyone's password (to ITDIDIT or something), log in at the desktops and run tamclient (or whatever) on the desktops, so there are no surprises the following business day. This new IT firm is "investigating other possibly easier options, such as creating a temp admin account on the domain that I would be able to use".
So my question is this, what do you all do? Granted, i have 50 local desktops to hit now, and the icons are all set for TAMclient, but I'd rather fix things before Monday morning.
Thoughts? Thank you.
Lynne Desrochers

Jim Jensen

I login using my own credentials on each workstation when running TAM the first time. The only after-affects could result if the upgrade somehow resets the workstation defaults within TAM.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

I actually used group policy to give full admin rights to c:\wintam and all the applied folders in the registry under HKLM.  I then didn't have to touch any of the user's computers. When they login and try to load TAM, it updates their machine. For the switch from asupdate to tamclient i replaced the icon with either a login script or the same group policy. Can't remember now.

This worked perfect for XP. I think I might need to update the policy to include the applied folders under the syswow64 section of the HKLM registry for windows 7 though.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security