Dell 2230d Printer problem

Started by Jim Jensen, June 08, 2010, 11:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

Changed the toner cartridge for only the 2nd time since buying my Dell 2230d printer. Upon doing so, lights come on saying I have to change the drum too. Put the old cartridge in and there's no problem. Tried another new one, same problem. I bought them from our normally reliable toner supplier. They want to get a page count out of the printer - I can't seem to find a way to do so.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Bob

I thought the drum was part of the cartridge replacement now days?

Hans Manhave

Can you hook up an ethernet cable and see if you can access the printer by network address?  Usually printers will have web access and let you at least view the statistics page which could be captured and/or printed to another printer.  If you already access via network, you should be able to browse to it.  If you don't know the IP address, you could try them one by one (just change the last octet of your network address) or view the network settings on the printer display if it has a display.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Gene Foraker

I have a Dell 2335d and if I print out the configuration the page count is listed there.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jim Jensen

It turns out there's a difference between models. The toner they sent is for a 2330, I have a 2230. The container is exactly the same, but there must be a difference with the programming in the chip that they aren't actually interchangeable. The same drum works for both (no Bob, they aren't together in the Dell - they have a separate Drum carrier into which the toner cartridge sits). They are sending me replacements. Fortunately since it is a local, well established toner supplier, they'll swap them out without any problem even though they are opened.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Bob

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Gene Foraker on June 08, 2010, 11:35:02 AM
I have a Dell 2335d and if I print out the configuration the page count is listed there.

I figured out how to print this as well - will be helpful later. Thanks. Pay very close attention to the 2's and 3' in the model number - very similar, but big difference.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Gene Foraker

Yes, I saw the model number difference, but don't know how they are different.    I didn't look up yours.    Mine is a multifunction, printer/fax/copier/scanner.    We are pretty happy with it.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Charlie Charbonneau

Side note: Dell's 1700/1710/1720's will do the same thing... NOT interchangeable. :(
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...