TAM display quality

Started by Hans Manhave, March 03, 2015, 11:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

Upgraded from TAM 10.8 to TAM 11.0.

Found that Windows 7 and TAM 11 display combination creates some less desired display quality.  Users now have increased difficulty seeing, for example, transaction lists.  This caused the user to modify the display settings outside Applied's recommended settings.  That in turn causes certain screens not to display correctly.  What have others experienced or done about it?
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jan Regnier

Hans,  be sure the Windows Classic window color/theme is used.  Windows 7 wants to give 'pretty' screen colors and themes but they wash out the text.  The CSAs have 17" dual screens and we use 1024 x768 to get text that is acceptable.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Charlie Charbonneau

Jan is right the Classic Theme seems to be the key.    That being said, I have no problem with the Windows 7 Aero Theme and 1920 X 1200 Resolution and TAM, but I happen to like a lot of real estate on my monitor!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Hans Manhave

I'm pretty sure I had all of the stations set to 'classic'.  Of course, now the user changed it all and I cannot confirm that.  Then there was the need to let the users be local admins on their workstation and so now changes are completely open.

I need to look into the ability to save a display setting (fonts/size/background, etc) as a certain name and then revert back to everything "classic".  Maybe then I can see if it is any better.  We have also changed the temperature of the monitor to "warm" or something low Kelvin.  That made the user happier also.  Personally, I like things as bright as possibly, preferring 5000K and up.  Especially using CFLs and such things.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Charlie Charbonneau

This might be lockable through Group Policies?  Don't hold me to this as I'd have to look to verify.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Todd Arnold

I believe that now-a-days the only gotcha when changing display settings on a computer that will be running TAM is the text size setting; you have to leave it at small.   Other changes will not cause problems like that one will.
Todd Arnold
AB Solutions, Inc.
800-753-7785 x111

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Todd Arnold on March 03, 2015, 06:27:40 PM
I believe that now-a-days the only gotcha when changing display settings on a computer that will be running TAM is the text size setting; you have to leave it at small.   Other changes will not cause problems like that one will.

Thank you.  It pretty well points into the direction of a larger screen (currently at 22") but at lower resolution.

Jeff Golas

I think someone hit the nail on the head - by default I believe Windows 7's "scaling" setting (text size) is 150% - you want to change it back to 100% and that will likely fix the anomalies you're seeing.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Quote from: Todd Arnold on March 03, 2015, 06:27:40 PM

This is what I thought too.  Windows 7 no longer needs to be in Classic - though my Group Policy setting still has it that way.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jan Regnier

I don't know.....I had some issues with a machine until it was on the Classic setting.  Once it was there - issues went away.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Bob

I think two different areas but unsure how it works in W7 vs. XP.

You could increase text size but if you changed the system font size to greater size, fixed field DBF properties in some older areas not rewritten just windows face lift, blew up.   While windows can do more DBF properties can't and they used the system font.   It was only certain areas.  Some areas Applied completely re-wrote so it works.    That's what I recall but haven't tested nor do I recall what parts of TAM it affected.  I think one was in accounting think disbursements.   I think less about OS more about what version of TAM using.  Probably should be revisited put to the test but would have to use all aspects of TAM.

Reason for classic settings been using a particular system font dating back to Windows 95.