scansnap windows 8 install not working

Started by Lynne Desrochers, October 14, 2014, 05:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

I have an outside contractor that brought me his HP Pavillion Laptop with Windows 8. I've been trying to install a scansnap ix500. I can see the application for the scan snap manager but cannot get it to run.
Has anyone run into this issue? Any thoughts? The scan snap manager is not listed in programs or apps to even delete it, but I clearly see it listed.
Thank you.
Lynne Desrochers

Jeff Zylstra

Maybe a protected mode installation issue or something like that in Windows 8?  Technically, the Canon DR 2080 scanners are not supposed to work in Windows 7 either, but there are ways around it using the 2050 drivers which are pretty much the same.  Maybe a newer scanner model that is compatible would work as well. 

Also, you may want to try Procmon process monitor to see what is actually happening.  I just activate it, set it to keep a log file and then try running the install or the program.  After 20-30 seconds of inactivity, turn off the logging and then search the text file log for words like "fail" or "error" until you find something that looks significant.  You might find that it's a version issue like not running the most current .NET release or something like that. Hopefully it's something simple.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Terry Evans

I had a lot of problems getting a scansnap working on a windows 7 machine and I called there technical support line and they were extremely helpful.  The machine was 5 years old and the computer was new and they didn't ask about warranty info or anything.
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz