mouse issued Dell Optiplex 7010

Started by Lynne Desrochers, August 26, 2014, 04:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

I've been getting some complaints from some users about the sensitivity of their mouse. They find that the double click is extremely sensitive and is either selecting multiple items that they don't want or just acting very crazy. I have been able to adjust this under control panel. I've noticed that everyone that complains all has a Dell Optiplex 7010. I feel like it started happening after an update a little while ago.
Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have any better suggestions for fixing it?
Thank you.
Lynne Desrochers

Mark

I have the 7010's but have not noticed this.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

We have several 7010's and haven't noticed this either.   I'll sound like a broken record for saying this, but I have noticed that these machines are faster and more stable after I installed the "big three" - BIOS, video and network card updates.  I get less complaints and the machines seem to be faster.  Just a thought...
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Golas

I think its the newer mice that come with them, just bump down the sensitivity a few clicks and move on.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Lynne Desrochers

I would agree as well, but it's just recently been happening and they've had them a while. There was some update I'm sure. I did try adjusting a few and it gets better, but it's still not right.

Today I took Jeff Z's method one one and it's gotten positive results. Someone else's mouse was gross, so I just replaced it and she is thrilled. I have one more where I'm going to go back to Jeff's idea of the drivers and hope that this is the last of it.
Thank you everyone.
Lynne Desrochers

Coral

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on August 27, 2014, 04:21:45 PM
Someone else's mouse was gross,

That's why I keep a giant bottle of hand sanitizer at my desk.
Coral Benton
Epic Online

Hans Manhave

Where does one go to find out if there are updates?  Every driver I check reports, after some online inquiry, that it is the latest driver.  I have a hard time believing that.  Especially since I don't know where it went to find out.  Dell 7010.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Alice Mooney

Quote from: Coral on August 27, 2014, 05:07:56 PM
Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on August 27, 2014, 04:21:45 PM
Someone else's mouse was gross,

That's why I keep a giant bottle of hand sanitizer at my desk.
when I was in IT, we had a box of gloves so we'd grab a pair every time anyone had to go to someone's desk to fix something. Plus the sanitizer when we got back.
Keyboards are the worst
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Lynne Desrochers

Quote from: FWA on August 27, 2014, 05:50:54 PM
Where does one go to find out if there are updates?  Every driver I check reports, after some online inquiry, that it is the latest driver.  I have a hard time believing that.  Especially since I don't know where it went to find out.  Dell 7010.

Hans, I had the same result at first as well, then I used the service tag number and manually chose the drivers I wanted to update and downloaded them and manually installed them. The Dell insta check thing didn't work, nor did going to the driver and checking for updates.
Lynne Desrochers

Mark

Along the lines of gross, but also look for little fuzzies or hairs, or dust, or anything that could be tricking the optical sensor on these rodents.  It will bend the light and send the mouse flying in all directions on the screen.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on August 28, 2014, 08:42:50 AM

Hans, I had the same result at first as well, then I used the service tag number and manually chose the drivers I wanted to update and downloaded them and manually installed them. The Dell insta check thing didn't work, nor did going to the driver and checking for updates.

Yep.  The service tag and manually downloading and installing each one was the easiest most reliable thing for me as well.  You may even want to download and install the "chipset" drivers as well, since that controls a host of things, like USB and other motherboard functions.  I was never a believer in updating drivers until lately when I started to have both speed and reliability issues.  It has seemed to fix them, however.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Golas

I also had various issues with optical mice caused by the mousepads...usually the freebie cheapo ones people get from carriers/conferences where it has a shiny surface.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on August 28, 2014, 10:03:01 AM
I also had various issues with optical mice caused by the mousepads...usually the freebie cheapo ones people get from carriers/conferences where it has a shiny surface.

generally don't use mouse pads anymore.  At least not with opticals.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on August 28, 2014, 09:34:11 AM

Yep.  The service tag and manually downloading and installing each one was the easiest most reliable thing for me as well.  You may even want to download and install the "chipset" drivers as well, since that controls a host of things, like USB and other motherboard functions.  I was never a believer in updating drivers until lately when I started to have both speed and reliability issues.  It has seemed to fix them, however.

Thank you both, I have it downloading now.  A whole set of them.  Will apply to all the machines so I don't have to go find it for each.  They are all the same model/age/equipment so that should be good.

These units also have that special video connector.  That creates a tricky setup, depending on what needs to be connected (TV, DVI, VGA, HDMI).  I have a quantity of the dongles coming in which should relieve some of the video problems.  Maybe even an audio problem.  Dell didn't sell them anymore but Amazon was very helpful.  I couldn't find a BIOS setting to turn the mobo unit on or off.  Hopefully the updates will give me something more to tinker with.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: FWA on August 28, 2014, 10:58:07 AM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on August 28, 2014, 09:34:11 AM

Thank you both, I have it downloading now.  A whole set of them.  Will apply to all the machines so I don't have to go find it for each.  They are all the same model/age/equipment so that should be good.

These units also have that special video connector.  That creates a tricky setup, depending on what needs to be connected (TV, DVI, VGA, HDMI).  I have a quantity of the dongles coming in which should relieve some of the video problems.  Maybe even an audio problem.  Dell didn't sell them anymore but Amazon was very helpful.  I couldn't find a BIOS setting to turn the mobo unit on or off.  Hopefully the updates will give me something more to tinker with.

You're welcome.  You should notice a difference immediately.

Yes, I don't think that you can disable the on-board video in BIOS.  I think it is auto-sensing.  They want you to use the on board VGA, and then the other DisplayPort.  I haven't figured out why there are 2 Display Ports on the back.  I tried running 2 DisplayPorts as monitor 1 and 2, but didn't have any luck as they both displayed the exact same thing.  I haven't figured out quite yet what good the second one is.