Looking for a new scanner

Started by emitrani, April 15, 2014, 04:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emitrani

Our office is interested in purchasing a scanner capable of scanning 500 - 1,000 pages. Is there a power scanner? Your thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. 

Bob

Welcome to AU!  +1

I think most of us use Cannons different models based on size.    We use Cannon DR-3080C which works well for us and it will go through 100 pages fairly quick but 4000, 5000, 6000 etc series provide even more output.   Larger models can do as you ask and supported with TAM.   We also have a Ricoh 4410NF staff favorite..  Deploying a new server next couple weeks and as I do I will enable the scanning and AD features of our Ricoh MP3500 Copiers which can scan to.  Leaning on that to be the work horse when I'm done with project.  This is an often asked question and you'll find majority like the Cannons.  Just depends on how much willing to spend.  :)

Jim Jensen

Is this is a frequent activity volume, then the copier, such as a ImageRunners, which are high capacity copiers would be able to handle high volume scanning well. I don't know whether you're wanting to utilize the bardcode scanning utility of TAM with this or not. Since the large format copiers don't connect directly to a PC, you'd have to look to the import feature of barcode scanning.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Just be careful if you use a copier to scan and have a maintenance agreement on the copier.  Some maintenance agreements charge a penny or so for every sheet that passes through the scanner, so scanning thousands and thousands of pages could result in some additional charges.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

emitrani

Quote from: Bob Connor on April 15, 2014, 05:54:18 PM
Welcome to AU!  +1

I think most of us use Cannons different models based on size.    We use Cannon DR-3080C which works well for us and it will go through 100 pages fairly quick but 4000, 5000, 6000 etc series provide even more output.   Larger models can do as you ask and supported with TAM.   We also have a Ricoh 4410NF staff favorite..  Deploying a new server next couple weeks and as I do I will enable the scanning and AD features of our Ricoh MP3500 Copiers which can scan to.  Leaning on that to be the work horse when I'm done with project.  This is an often asked question and you'll find majority like the Cannons.  Just depends on how much willing to spend.  :)

Thank you so much for your feedback. I will look over pricing and reviews to make my descision. Do you have anywhere in particular you purchase your hardware from?

Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 16, 2014, 09:09:06 AM
Is this is a frequent activity volume, then the copier, such as a ImageRunners, which are high capacity copiers would be able to handle high volume scanning well. I don't know whether you're wanting to utilize the bardcode scanning utility of TAM with this or not. Since the large format copiers don't connect directly to a PC, you'd have to look to the import feature of barcode scanning.

We don't currently use the copier as a scanner. We do use the bar sheets with our current scanner though. Do copiers scan without the barcode sheets and then have to be manually imported into TAM?

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on April 16, 2014, 01:34:05 PM
Just be careful if you use a copier to scan and have a maintenance agreement on the copier.  Some maintenance agreements charge a penny or so for every sheet that passes through the scanner, so scanning thousands and thousands of pages could result in some additional charges.

Thank you for the heads up!