Main Menu

Desktop MFP

Started by Mark, December 30, 2013, 10:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Yes, another printer thread.

What print/scan combo's do you have working well with Windows 7?  Even though I have plenty of nicely working HP 1200/1220's, scanning in Windows 7 is atrociously slow with them.  Even set at black and white 200dpi the scanner acts as if it were scanning in color taking at least a minute per page (which feels like 5 minutes per page of course).  There are no 7 scan drivers for these, so apparently this is the bet it gets.  Functions, just not efficiently.

This is something I was aware of, but expected to be able to find a fix for and doesn't look like there is one.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

Have you tried the native drivers in Windows 7? I have an older scanner that has no Win7 drivers and use it ok with the windows driver. It's not perfect, but works. Scanner support is the worst item on upgrades. I have yet to have a scanner where the manufacturer released drivers for it when a new OS came out. I guess because scanners don't break easily, they have to make them obsolete somehow, but I chafe at it every time.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

Yeah, it's the Windows 7 drivers that make it work.  It's just dog slow because there is no OEM driver for it.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

Its not a laser but I have an Office 8600 at home that I'm actually pretty happy with. My only beef with it is that it doesn't have a manual feed tray.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Yeah, those would get pricey. Think for now people are just going to use the big scanner.  I've only got 2 out of 20 people that said they even still use the desktop scanner.  The copy machine is faster and it's already a PDF.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on January 02, 2014, 02:23:54 PM
Yeah, those would get pricey. Think for now people are just going to use the big scanner.  I've only got 2 out of 20 people that said they even still use the desktop scanner.  The copy machine is faster and it's already a PDF.

I'd find a used USB version of the Canon DR 2080 or 2050 on Ebay and call it a day.  Those things are almost indestructible, and the USB versions work just fine with Windows 7.  You should be able to get them for $100 or so.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

thanks for all the feedback everyone.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on January 02, 2014, 04:11:52 PM
Quote from: Mark on January 02, 2014, 02:23:54 PM

I'd find a used USB version of the Canon DR 2080 or 2050 on Ebay and call it a day.  Those things are almost indestructible, and the USB versions work just fine with Windows 7.  You should be able to get them for $100 or so.

I can confirm that.  I have a 2050 on this WIN 7 machine and it does work just fine.  There is one little hitch and it befuddles the non-techies who simply cannot remember the trick:  After a restart, you have to right-click the scanner in Devices in order to get it to automatically scan to the Canon app by just pressing the scan button on the scanner.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect