Main Menu

New laptop

Started by Gene Foraker, November 12, 2013, 04:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Foraker

One of my Companies preferred agent program has given me some money to spend on technology before the end of the year.   I have decided to get myself a new laptop (among a few other things).   Any ideas?

I really liked the concept and specs of the new Lenovo Yoga 2, but it has some problems with the color pallet and delivery is now "over 4 weeks" and I have to get it before the end of the year - 6 weeks.   I like the idea of a convertible, but think they are not quite ready yet.  Ultrabooks look pretty good, though they don't have a discrete graphics card and will suck at games.    Maybe I will just collect a list of prospects and see what deals come up on Black Friday.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jeff Golas

While there's a wait directly from Lenovo - maybe check the resellers like CDW, PC Connection, etc, they may have some stock. Only hit against the Yoga is no dock port.

I love Lenovo stuff..
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Gene Foraker

I did put an order on the Lenovo last night, but may cancel if the date drops back further on it.   Estimated delivery around Christmas (maybe a little too convenient for them to estimate this date) and I cannot take delivery after New Years.   I may still consider a Samsung or a Sony.   Sonys are like Apple in that they are always overpriced, but nice.   The only source for the Lenovo is either direct or Best Buy and BB does not have all models.    I think I will see what deals pop up aroiund Black Friday on ultrabooks.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Joshua Conner

Quote from: Jeff Golas on November 12, 2013, 05:34:10 PM
While there's a wait directly from Lenovo - maybe check the resellers like CDW, PC Connection, etc, they may have some stock. Only hit against the Yoga is no dock port.

I love Lenovo stuff..

X2 I love lenovo have always been happy with their stuff.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski

Another happy Lenovo user here.....
Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Gene Foraker

It looks like I won't have much more time to question my decision and shop around.   Wednesday Lenovo showed an estimated shipping date of 12/21.    Yesterday they said it has shipped from Singapore and will be here Monday.

The color pallet problem has supposedly been solved with a firmware or bios fix.   The only problem will be trying to adjust to the 3200X1800 screen resolution.   I guess Windows 8.1 Metro scales resolution pretty well, but Desktop mode is pretty much the old Windows.   You have to change resolution away from default or squint really hard to see tiny letters.   That is one area Apple iOS is much better than Windows.   
Gene Foraker CPCU
Norton, OH