Welcome board in two places

Started by Lynne Desrochers, October 15, 2013, 06:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

We have had a welcome board up by the receptionists desk for a while. It's just a powerpoint running on a third monitor at her desk. I've had a request to have the welcome board show at multiple locations in the office (ok, well at least 2, but I think once i put it one place they will want it another as well). Any thoughts on an easy way to get this done? Thank you.

Lynne
Lynne Desrochers

Mark

Is this a PowerPoint that is edited regularly to welcome specific people, or is it a static message that changes infrequently?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Lynne Desrochers

Edited regularly to welcome specific people.
Lynne Desrochers

JohnGage

We still run a Prezi (similar to PowerPoint) but I have this link saved so that one day I can convert to a more advanced signage solution.  I'm not 100% certain that this is the correct vendor should I ever upgrade from Prezi but it's free and with minimal research it seemed to be what I was going after.

http://www.risevision.com/
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

Ric

Lynne,

Is adding another video card/port with a long VGA cable an option?

Now exactly how long but I know Video cables can run 100' or more.

HTH

Ric
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Mark

Quote from: Ric on October 16, 2013, 08:27:58 AM
Lynne,

Is adding another video card/port with a long VGA cable an option?

Now exactly how long but I know Video cables can run 100' or more.

HTH

Ric

This was going to be my next suggestion.  First suggestions was going to be TV with built-in DVD player but that was only if you didn't change it that often.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Sherry Burrell

Could you save the Power Point file to the network and both locations (as long as there is w/s) open the file?  The second one would be read-only but that wouldn't matter.
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic 2022 Online w/CSR24, 6 users

Lynne Desrochers

John: Love Prezi, but how would i set it up to run in both locations?
Ric: ok on the extra long cable, i have them, would powerpoint (or prezi) run on two monitors at the same time? I haven't tested this out yet.  But if this works it would be the easiest answer.
Sherry: I think the 2nd monitor would be up in a hall somewhere, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to have a workstation running the same file. Also, thinking this through, wouldn't we have to manually run it again every time she updated it? I could set up remote access to the other workstation, so she could pop on over right from her desk...
Lynne Desrochers

Jeff Golas

If I were in that situation, there's 100 different ways you could go, but easiest would be a VGA splitter sending signal to the other monitors using a VGA to cat-5 adapter if you have the wiring available.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jon Robinson

What about using roku devices?  You could just put the slides on a USB and then just pop them in.  You can get them pretty cheap.  You might have to change the format of the slide from power point into pdf or photos.  But you could defiantly do it.
System Administrator
Dale Barton Agency, SLC, UT
Vision LAN 6.2
jrobinson@dalebarton.com
801-288-1600

Billy Welsh

We have a much older wired-LAN-only version of this http://www.viewsonic.com/us/digital-signage/media-players/wpg-370.html.

We upload the content from the (admittedly not very good) desktop client, and the unit holds the content in memory and displays on the monitor.  The content is generated with PowerPoint.  We have it fastened to the back of the LCD so unless you are looking for it you don't even know it's there.  I believe it is using a memory card vs. a USB stick.

Very nice solution for our small office - no potential complications from using someone's PC.  The client software will work with multiple units, so you would simply have to upload once for each unit to get the same content on each.  I would hope/assume that they have improved the software since our purchase, which was several years back.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Golas

FYi - Roku makes a digital sign module. Its not as cheap as a regular Roku though.

Another idea - Dell sells those new workstations that are more or less giant ipads, you could always just mount those on a wall and have them set to copy files from a central location every so often, and display a wallpaper. Down the road they could be used for more.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Debbie Fuson

What about one of the Android mini TV dongles?  We have a TV in our lobby, and I was thinking about trying one out on it.

Of course, Lynn would end up needing two of them.....
Debbie Fuson
Brown & Brown of Tennessee
Vision 6.4 and Inscope

Jeff Zylstra

Love these kinds of posts!  Many good ideas here.   I'm liking the Roku idea of using a non-computer device to broadcast a signal.  I was also thinking of Jeff's idea to us Ethernet as a means to connect to a VGA or other monitor.  Or, many TVs now days have a USB slot that you could run a presentation on.   +1 to Lynne for starting the discussion!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Golas

Quote from: Debbie Fuson on October 16, 2013, 11:06:01 AM
What about one of the Android mini TV dongles?  We have a TV in our lobby, and I was thinking about trying one out on it.

Of course, Lynn would end up needing two of them.....

Is that the FAVI stick? I think I saw those for sale in the local comp store (the only one left) and was going to look into it furthur. Gets mixed reviews but then mostly positive later on Amazon.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Debbie Fuson

Quote from: Jeff Golas on October 16, 2013, 02:44:03 PM

Is that the FAVI stick? I think I saw those for sale in the local comp store (the only one left) and was going to look into it furthur. Gets mixed reviews but then mostly positive later on Amazon.

Yes, that's an example of what I'm talking about.   If you go to Amazon and look for "Android mini PC" you will find a whole bunch of them.
Debbie Fuson
Brown & Brown of Tennessee
Vision 6.4 and Inscope

Lynne Desrochers

Thank you everyone for the ideas! Debbie, you got me thinking about the old gototv that I used to use in my large conference room before we moved. Seems to do the same thing as the FAVI stick. Sounds like I have some researching to do.
I appreciate everyone posting.
Lynne
Lynne Desrochers

Ric

Quote from: Jeff Golas on October 16, 2013, 10:17:57 AM
If I were in that situation, there's 100 different ways you could go, but easiest would be a VGA splitter sending signal to the other monitors using a VGA to cat-5 adapter if you have the wiring available.

Jeff has the solution that I would use.
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Lynne Desrochers

I found out the full project yesterday. He wants 3 additional monitors through out the office. The furthest distance is under 125 feet, so my first inclination is that I will go with the splitter and 125 ft cables, call an electrician and call it a day. I found a TruLink 4-Port UXGA Monitor Splitter/Extender that I think will fit the bill on C2G.
Since the content changes throughout the day, I think this would be the easiest and cheapest way to go.
Thank you again for everyone's input.
Lynne Desrochers

Mark

Very cool!  Thanks for the update!
Mark Piontek, MBA

Ric

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on October 24, 2013, 01:00:51 PM
I found out the full project yesterday. He wants 3 additional monitors through out the office. The furthest distance is under 125 feet, so my first inclination is that I will go with the splitter and 125 ft cables, call an electrician and call it a day. I found a TruLink 4-Port UXGA Monitor Splitter/Extender that I think will fit the bill on C2G.
Since the content changes throughout the day, I think this would be the easiest and cheapest way to go.
Thank you again for everyone's input.

way to git er dun Lynne!
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Lynne Desrochers

Thanks Ric, but it's not done yet. Ordered the splitter and of course will be back to posting when it doesn't work out!
Lynne
Lynne Desrochers

Ric

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on October 25, 2013, 12:58:16 PM
Thanks Ric, but it's not done yet. Ordered the splitter and of course will be back to posting when it doesn't work out!
Lynne

referring to the intent and att-e-tude lady.

I'm sure you will have it running in no time
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365