Create Word Like Columns in Excel?

Started by Heather Reetz, April 20, 2010, 03:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heather Reetz

Is there a way to make a long list in Excel format itself as columns would be in word?
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!

Matthew Udovich

I'm afraid I don't quite understand? You want to take a list (vertical) and move it to columns (horizontal)?

Heather Reetz

I have a three column list in Excel.  There are 979 rows.  I'd like to print in order to "check" this list, as it was manually transfered from a scanned pdf to an Excel spreadsheet.  I guess I'm trying to save paper.  Right now it would be 18 pages.  If I could do half that, it would be great.

I just wondered if I could get it into two columns (like Word does).  Maybe I should just copy it into Word for the checking part.  Put it into columns there and print.  Ultimately, the spreadsheet will just be used to search.

Heather Reetz

Matthew Udovich

so you want to make it six columns? So it prints on fewer pages? copy A490:C979 and paste it into D1?? Sorry, My brain still don't get it  :-[

Debbie Fuson

Do you mean tell it to print more than one page on a single sheet of paper? 

There may be another way to do it, but try going to File - Print.  Pick the printer you want to use.  Then click the Properties button.  There should be an option somewhere for "Pages per Sheet."   Where it is depends on your print driver.  Some of my printers have it on a Layout tab, some on a Finishing tab....it just kind of varied on where it was, but it said "Pages per Sheet" on all the printers I checked.

Someone else may have an easier way to do it, but that would accomplish it.
Debbie Fuson
Brown & Brown of Tennessee
Vision 6.4 and Inscope

Heather Reetz

I may just use the copy-to-Word option. 

Here's what I'm trying to do:

As is:
a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h

I want to make it:

a   c
b   d

e   g
f   h

Copy and paste would take way more time than I'm willing to put into it.
Heather Reetz

Debbie Fuson

Yeah - so if you printed the document with 4 pages per sheet, you'd get exactly what you had in mind.
Debbie Fuson
Brown & Brown of Tennessee
Vision 6.4 and Inscope

Heather Reetz

Quote from: Debbie Fuson on April 21, 2010, 03:44:56 PM
Yeah - so if you printed the document with 4 pages per sheet, you'd get exactly what you had in mind.

I couldn't find that option, so I copied and pasted into Word.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Heather Reetz