Main Menu

TAM Online v. printer

Started by brinkerdana, April 17, 2010, 10:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brinkerdana

Several times a month, (yes!  It's making me crazy!) my ability to print just stops.  I spend lots of time on the phone with Support and they remove/add the printer, drivers. etc. and tell me it's not their problem. Then I contact our IT guy (don't get me started) and 2 or 3 days later he shows up, changes all my settings, desktop, etc. but the link to the printer is restored.  He never comes while I'm there to watch what he's doing.

Anyone care to take a guess as to what causes me to lose the link to begin with?  We're not on a server. The other person in the office NEVER loses her link to the same printer.  If I can figure out what's causing only my station to do this...well, you get the drift.  Two days this week with no ability to print at all; no promise that it will be fixed by Monday.  I'm CSR, bookkeeper, TAM admin. but only have enough knowledge of hardware to be dangerous. 

One Applied Tech was actually able to get me going again.  All the others try lots of stuff, give up and blame it on me. 

I'm going to have to figure this out so I can get myself back to printing on my own, since my "help" is so unreliable.

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Bloody Jack Kidd

Is this a local printer to you?  Something attached to your workstation or notebook directly via parallel or USB cable?
Sysadmin - Parallel42

brinkerdana

I believe its a network printer.
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Matthew Udovich

Good Morning Dana,

IT's just an off the cuff attempt here, but I am curious, when you have trouble printing in your TOL session, have you done what most users hate, and closed out of everything and restarted your machine, then logged back on and back into TOL and tried printing? I know it's sounds silly, but I am just wondering if it isn't your print spooler conking out, a restart would\should get it going again.

You could try opening a CMD prompt on your local machine (start, RUN, type CMD, then press Enter) and type in net stop spooler (hit enter) and then net start spooler (then hit enter)
This would spot the print spooler and then start it, but I do not know if you would have to reconnect to the TOL session to get teh printer back in TOL or not (sorry I have no experience with TOL-but we do run 11 users through a terminal server, which is similar)

Anyway, it' just a guess, I hope it helps somewhat.

GeorgeW

I'm guessing you have tried uninstalling/reinstalling triCerat Screwdrivers ?
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2