Projector Bulb Original VS OEM Compatible

Started by Ben Thoele, March 25, 2013, 03:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Thoele

Our InFocus IN5104 projector is telling us the bulb will need to be replaced soon.  The InFocus bulb is $535 through PC Mall. OEM and compatible bulbs range from $98 to $250. 

Is it worth paying for an original brand bulb?
Ben Thoele, I.T. Coordinator
TAM 12.2
33 Users
Mahowald Insurance
Saint Cloud, MN

Jeff Zylstra

OUCH!  Is there any rated life, lumens, or other brightness specification that is available that would give some kind of indication that there are considerable differences in the bulbs? 

Even if there wasn't specs on the bulbs, I'd still be REALLY tempted to go with the "compatible" bulbs.  Even it they're only half the life span, you're still way ahead.  I don't mind spending for quality, but I'm not one to buy something just because it is the "in" brand name at the moment.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

How long has that bulb been in service? 

InFocus says this about using other than original lamps... (of course, they would but it's something to think about):

Non-InFocus lamps can cause damage to your projector's electronics
    Using other lamps will invalidate the projector's warranty
    The quality of non-InFocus lamps is very inconsistent
    Non-InFocus lamps don't last as long – thus, costing you money and time to replace them

Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jan Regnier on March 25, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

InFocus says this about using other than original lamps... (of course, they would but it's something to think about):

Non-InFocus lamps don't last as long – thus, costing you money and time to replace them

This sounds suspiciously like the "warnings" that laser printer manufacturers were giving about using non-OEM printer cartridges.  I believe that the courts told them they couldn't threaten users with voiding warranties or stating something that wasn't objectively provable (like saying it would damage the unit). 

I'd talk to a television repair shop or other electronics repair place to see what they have to say.  Projection TVs are probably as close as you're going to get to these things electronically speaking, and these folks usually know electronics in general, so they should be able to tell snake oil from the real thing. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on March 25, 2013, 04:26:17 PM
Quote from: Jan Regnier on March 25, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

This sounds suspiciously like the "warnings" that laser printer manufacturers were giving about using non-OEM printer cartridges.  I believe that the courts told them they couldn't threaten users with voiding warranties or stating something that wasn't objectively provable (like saying it would damage the unit). 

I'd talk to a television repair shop or other electronics repair place to see what they have to say.  Projection TVs are probably as close as you're going to get to these things electronically speaking, and these folks usually know electronics in general, so they should be able to tell snake oil from the real thing.

Edit:  Ok doing a little reading....maybe the price is so much higher from the mfg is because they are replacing the housing as well as the bulb?  Read where it's not always possible to just replace the bulb - that the bulb housing also gets replaced ....don't know if that's the case here but it could account for the pricing.

I would say the only thing that would be 1/2 correct about their statements is that the quality may not be as good.  But I would definitely want to know the pro & con of using a generic bulb.  I would be surprised if the are NO comments about that available!  In some cases using generic is OK and in others it just doesn't work.  Just need to know what applies to this situation which, of course, what he is asking us!  Starting with us 1st is always a good idea!  ;D
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Billy Welsh

I could see a generic bulb "harming the electronics" if it generates more heat than the OEM bulb, but otherwise that sounds like bs.  And it should be relatively easy to compare specs to determine if there should be a big difference in the generated heat.

I know when I looked at replacing a bulb on our old HP, I found comments out there about using a generic.  Most had good experiences, as I recall.  We actually decided to go with a new projector given the age of the HP, so I did not but a bulb.  But I had pretty much decided on the generic route.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jim Jensen

When we replaced a bulb at church, we did have the choice between just the bulb and bulb+housing. It was suggested that replacing the housing with it makes the replacement easier and less likely to go wrong because the bulb is already installed in the housing.

Jeff: I have to ask: 
Quote"I'd talk to a television repair shop"
<== What's that? ;-)

U-Verse installer was talking about remembering going to the store to test TV tubes on the tester, which I also remember doing at the drug store.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jim Jensen on March 26, 2013, 08:18:38 AM

Jeff: I have to ask: 
Quote"I'd talk to a television repair shop"
<== What's that? ;-)

U-Verse installer was talking about remembering going to the store to test TV tubes on the tester, which I also remember doing at the drug store.

They're found right between the 5 and 10 cent store where you test the TV tubes, and the pet stores that carry do-do birds.   ;)   We still have a few around, but they're becoming more and more rare.

Jeff Golas

I think with the cost of projectors dropping like rocks, unless its one where it's permanently installed and used every day, I'd go with the cheaper bulb and replace the projector the next time it needs one. Seriously we had a huge Infocus that needed a $500 bulb, but $700 at the nearby Staples netted a brand new Epson projector with much better specs.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Jeff Golas on March 26, 2013, 03:05:50 PM
I think with the cost of projectors dropping like rocks, unless its one where it's permanently installed and used every day, I'd go with the cheaper bulb and replace the projector the next time it needs one. Seriously we had a huge Infocus that needed a $500 bulb, but $700 at the nearby Staples netted a brand new Epson projector with much better specs.

I thinking the same, that I'd take the "chance" of damaging the unit unless it's still rather expensive to replace.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis