Main Menu

New Computer Specs

Started by Jeff Zylstra, March 19, 2013, 10:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on new computers is these days.  Thinking of ordering a few new Dell machines, and I'm wondering if Dell is still the most viable option, and also which model and processor to get.  Thinking of the 7010 Optiplex machines with the Intel I-5 processors.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

The last three machine upgrades we have done have been machines built by our local computer service.  (he used to work for Applied when they had a hardware division!) We just replaced all of our machines last fall and he went with the Intel CPU Corei5 4GB DDR3 memory - Windows 7 Prof 32 bit.  Running TAM  11.1 Build 4
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Mark

I'd probably go with the I5, & 6GB of RAM with 64bit Windows 7.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Are we sure that Windows 7 64 bit is completely kosher with TAM?  Also, just wondering what version of Office to get, since everyone wants to sell you the latest and greatest version of Office.  Is it possible to get an older version of Office, but then get a "coupon" or something for the newer versions at a reasonable cost? 

Do I even want to mention Windows 8 and how Applied is handling that?  A visit from Conan and his Applied support crystal ball would certainly be welcomed right now!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Billy Welsh

We have been going with the Open Licenses for Office as needs have dictated purchasing a copy for a new EE or PC.  This allows you to run older versions (back to 2003 last time we did it).

Costs a bit more, but it is not OEM that dies with PC, and we have the added flexibility as far as the version we choose to run.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jan Regnier

We are using Office 2010 (had Office 2003)  Applied has a Compatibility chart. The last one I printed indicates Terminal Server OS WinServer 2008 64 is compatible and (Non-TS) WinServer 2003 64 is not.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Mark

We do same as Billy.  I have TAM working on a 2008 R2 Sp1 terminal server, so it should be working just fine on Windows 7 64 bit (have tested already).
Mark Piontek, MBA

DebAmstutz

Here is what the local computer tech just did for one of the CSRs (don't ask me what anything means, I'm just typing this off the invoice):

Dell Vostro 260 MT mini tower computer, Intel i#-2120 Processor (3.3Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, 500 MB hard drive, 16X DVD+RW, HD2500 video, Gigabit Ethernet, keyboard, mouse, Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.  Intel Solid-State Drive 520 Series, 120 GB, SATA-600, 2.5" x 1/8H, NCQ, 550 MBps (read)/520 MBps (write), MLC, 5-year warranty. :o
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Mark

interesting.  I see two hard drives... for a CSR?  And, why 500GB for a workstation? smallest he could get?  The 120Gb by itself should have been good enough.

Must be missing something.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Just wondering if an electronic hard drive is really necessary/beneficial in a workstation, or if it is too expensive to gain much benefit? 

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on March 19, 2013, 01:17:13 PM
Just wondering if an electronic hard drive is really necessary/beneficial in a workstation, or if it is too expensive to gain much benefit?

???  All drives are "electronic", Jeff.  but maybe you meant solid state.  Yes, I'd put a solid state drive in a workstation.  Mark Cote has been raving about his since he did it.  Less than 30 seconds from power up to being on his desktop and ready to go.  They are fast.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on March 19, 2013, 01:40:10 PM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on March 19, 2013, 01:17:13 PM

???  All drives are "electronic", Jeff.  but maybe you meant solid state.  Yes, I'd put a solid state drive in a workstation.  Mark Cote has been raving about his since he did it.  Less than 30 seconds from power up to being on his desktop and ready to go.  They are fast.

OK, wiseguy - you KNEW what I meant! Your brain will get there some day too!

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on March 19, 2013, 01:45:29 PM
OK, wiseguy - you KNEW what I meant! Your brain will get there some day too!

;D  Trust me, it's close enough... might as well be there already.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bob

Quote from: Mark on March 19, 2013, 12:07:03 PM
We do same as Billy.  I have TAM working on a 2008 R2 Sp1 terminal server, so it should be working just fine on Windows 7 64 bit (have tested already).

Exactly what were migrating too in future.   Doing this with several products so we have a cost per employee..  Make it easier adding/removing employees setting them up.

Gene Foraker

I just ordered 3 of the Dell / Applied configurations before the end of the year.    No real customization allowed and only 32 bit Win7.    Still, it was a decent discount.

Otherwise, I usually get locally built machines with good parts.   Unfortunately, the local shop went out of business this year after the owner died.

I am still thinking about Office.   Outlook 2003 comes with my SBS Server 2003 and most personal CSR's don't use Excel so I just may buy Word alone.   I even bet Open Office may work fine for the Excel clone.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.